Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Miss And I Hate The Taste Of Failure

My First Miss And I Hate The Taste Of Failure

So I got out at about 1245 today and hunted a new stand I hung this summer. Had a big yote pacing back and forth pretty much right when I got on stand. At 4 Quickly had a giant 8 point come in and go underneath the fence at that point I had about 5 seconds to take a spine shot. I passed I just think its fair to be ethical. Well he has right behind me and was making a scrape there was a lot of underbrush so I waited and waited until I thought I had a small window at 15 yards I shot and hit a very small twig. Found the arrow after dark no blood and 2 stinking hairs. Thats my first deer I have ever missed with a bow and I feel sick. Only thing is the deer trotted 40 yards when I shot and kept on about his business. Maybe he will stick around right?

From what it sounds he'll still be around, everyone misses, I did last week on the biggest buck I've drawn back on, he was at 30 yds, which is a chip shot for me, apparently not tho haha well good luck with him tho let us know what happens.

I missed for the first time last fall at a nice ten point and, I still can't stop thinking about it. I hear you on passing up the shots, I often think I pass up way to many shot opportunities. Although I could never take a spine shot as well.
    2008-2009 Team Challenge Champs
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

"He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"

hey things happen, know that's not a great answer, but they do
    and its always better to have a clean miss than a bad hit, so
    he lives for another encounter, lots of time left in your ohio season so??
    keep at it
    my archery season ends here in 2 days
    so could be worse!!

Sorry about the miss. So what is unethical about a spine shot? Have made several over the years on rainy days and in situations where tracking would be hard. Drop them to the ground, walk up and put them out of their misery immeditely. Alot better than borderline shots and having a deer roaming around suffering for hours, or even days. Don't understand your line of thinking on that.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

He may consider it "unethical" due to it not being a one shot kill. I personally won't aim for it because I'm not comfortable with such a small target yet. Now hunting is tough for me right now and I go for the biggest target I can

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    We all miss, and as mrbb said, better a clean miss than a wounded deer that is never recovered. We have almost all had this happen and it makes you sick. I'd rather miss cleanly any day.

The first deer I killed was with a spine shot. I admit it was not intentional though. I shot this deer at 7 yards and didn't know to aim low at that distance then, I do now. Plus I'm sure my hard breathing and shaking hand pulled the shot some.

I'm confident in my shooting but I don't take spine shots either. Not saying that it is wrong for those that choose to do so. I like my deer broadside and try for a double lung shot. I like this shot because it does leave a little room for error.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Your right small target if I had it to do all over again I prolly still wouldn't have taken it

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Making mistakes is how we learn. At least you learned somthing and didn't have to pay a high price in doing so. Putting a bullet through a small window and putting an arrow through a small window is not comparable in my opinion. I'm sure that this experience will make you a better hunter in the long run. Get back out there and get another crack at him. Just wait for a good opportunity.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Glad you didn't! I will never take a spine shot!! I want the most clean, ethical shot, I can possibly get!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

Thread Information