Thread: Blew my first chance at a BIG BOY this year!!!!!

Blew my first chance at a BIG BOY this year!!!!!

Well, I blew a chance at a real beast of a buck this morning. I have been saving my one stand for this week. I hit that stand this morning and it didn't disappoint but I blew it though. Just after legal shooting light I did a blind call with the can and hit the grunt tube a couple times. Immediately I heard movement behind me over my right shoulder. At first sight it looked like a 2 1/2 year old just inside his ears so I didn't get too excited. He then stepped into the clearing 15 yards behind my stand and I saw he was a true beast. His spread was only about 14" but his G 2's were about 12" long. His brow tines were like 8" and they angled in towards each other. I would estimate his bases were like 7"-8". This buck had some serious mass. He was a 10 pointer with a 3 inch kicker off his left G-2. I think he would push 150." He isn't the highest scoring buck on my property but he is definitely one of the biggest bodied bucks I have ever saw. He was broadside on my right side like 10 yards away with a wide open shot. This is where the problem began. I was strictly a crossbow hunter in the past. This tree is really set up pretty much for crossbow use. I even said to myself I should take my crossbow instead of my compound. I could not pull this shot off. I had to wait until he started walking again and draw on him. Then he angled to his right and walked away right behind a tree. I did have an opening at forty yards but I had to stand up. When I stood up there was a branch in my way and I still couldn't shoot. Eventually i had to just let him walk away. The one good thing about all this is he didn't spook at all. So, tomorrow morning I will be back out in the same stand with my good old Horton Legend.

Don't sound like you blew it to me. Just something that happens all the time, to most of us who hunt. You got out undetected, that's a good thing.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Thread Information