Most seasons I'm able to kill a 130 or better buck with my bow. I learned awhile ago that generally I can expect one good chance at a shooter buck each season. So it's been my practice to really focus and try to capitalize on that opportunity.

Having said that, either god hates me or I just suck this year. Yesterday morning I hunted an outside edge of corn, an oak flat, and bedding. I've never seen a big buck in this location in my life, but it hasnt been corn for 10 years. The only deer I saw yesterday was a nice 10 point, identical to a 155 I arrowed on the same property years ago. I drew on him at 40 yards and let down because I wanted to let the situation develop rather than rushing a shot (oh and a blade on my rage had come out of the rubber band). Fixed my broad head and waited as he closed the distance to what I guessed to be 30 yards. Standing broad side in the open, this was a chip shot. I made the poor decision of trying to put one through his heart. I think I was probably an inch or two high and he probably ducked a couple inches. The result was about 3 inches of penetration smack into his shoulder (it must be a fine line, ive done fine with 4 inches of penetration my whole life...). My skin was crawling all day. I even went out and bought a new ten point crossbow.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352031597.601525.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	9413

I spent the evening shooting; probably 150 arrows. Getting tight groups at 40 yards I decided a crossbow wasn't the answer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352031552.205473.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	9412

I decide to hunt a farm this morning that I've had zero trail cam pictures of anything remotely decent. And few does as of recently. Basically I'm there on blind faith. Sure enough another nice 10 (140s I'm guessing) comes strolling in right at shooting time. He was even kind enough to wait around for another ten minutes to where I could actually have enough light to see to shoot. At about 15 yards behind my tree broadside, I've got my second chip shot in as many hunts. I forgot to check to make sure I had enough clearance. My cam or limb hit my tree stand seat that I had flipped up. Bow exploded and buck hung around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352032025.605470.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	9414

At this point, I'm not sure how I ever managed to kill any of those bucks on my wall.

I hope everyone else has better luck this season!