Thread: how do I get him to stop?

how do I get him to stop?

The title sounds like something my wife would say to her friends about me lol. But any way.I had a large, mature buck come through after first like about 70 yards away. There was no wind and the woods were dead quite. I grunted, snort wheeled, and everyrhing else I could think of but he just kept on moving. There was no doe present that I saw so I don't believe he was doggin one. What's the best way to get him to stop or get his attention in that case?

well any loud noise will work, but it will also get him to start looking for what made it, 70 yrds is a long poke, if you were looking to stop for a shot

but I have over the yrs carried some rocks with me, more ot get deer out of a plot so I can climb down, but sure a rock tossed at him would get him to both stop and look in a different direction, and thus maybe allow you to the grunt, bleat or?? to get him closer to you for a shot?
    a branch would work well too I think, or maybe even drop a day pack or likes
    just bneed to bear there focus
    but be careful too loud and it could make them run instead of stop!!

I guess I should clarify. I wanted him to stop and come my way. I don't really feel comfortable going past 40yrds bc my accuracy begins to drop off. Thanks for the responses guys.

Sounds to me like you did everything right. For whatever reason, that particular buck had somehing else that he was focused on (maybe he was on the trail of a nice smelling doe that had walked there 6 hours earlier, or even more recently since you mentioned it was around first light?). Tomorrow, he may come charging in to a snort wheeze or some other call that you tried before. I'm sure you are wanting to learn from a mistake you may have made...........but don't beat yourself up over it. Just get back out there and keep at it. Right now MOST bucks are gonna come to just about any coaxing call you know of, but not EVERY single buck.
    Go afield with good attitude, and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk. - Fred Bear

Rattle! I snorted and weezed and nothing. I rattled and THAT caught his attention.

It all depends. I killed my buck last week. He paid no attention to grunts, bleats, snort wheezes..he came to the rattle. I hunted yesterday overlooking the same CRP that I killed my buck in. My dad and my buddy were both rattling trying to get bucks to come to them. I saw several different bucks, yesterday they seemed to turn away from the rattling and were intrigued by grunt calls. What a difference a week makes. Of course the buck that was dogging the doe paid no mind to any of it.
    Bear Lights Out 27"/60#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400 arrows
    Whisker Biscuit
    Extreme Archery 3 Pin Sight
    100gr Rage 2 Blade

"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."

Ted Nugent

This time of year there is nothing like crashing some antlers together and watching them come in on a string.

I had a large mature buck come in this morning rather quick. Could not stop him for a shot. 3 doe come through at day break and 3 hours later he showed up. He was only 25 yards and no stopping. He got out to 50. I grunted and he didn't care

Thread Information