Thread: Rattled my first buck today

Senior Member zach-the-deer-slayer's Avatar

Rattled my first buck today

I set out today with a rattle bag and grunt call waaaay back in one of the hollows I've been hunting this season and figured I'd try the horns today. I've rattled a few times before and never done any good. I got settled in and let out a few grunts and then rattled for about a minute then quit. I let out a few more grunts and not a minute later there's crashing coming toward me. A shooter 8 point is charging up the hollow and he stops about 50 yards in the brush. He stops for a minute and I hit the grunt and he comes within 30 yards but never offers a shot before moving on. About an hour later I did the same thing and had a tiny 8 point come in from a different direction. I'm pretty excited to try it again tomorrow morning. For the record the first buck was at 3:30 and the small one was at 5pm. So get out there and hit the horns guys
    SWAMP DONKEY ASSASSINS!
    We ain't assin around!

Makes for an exciting day. Only once have I ever had a buck come in after rattling and that was many years ago.
    Good luck

everything is great when it works isn't it LOL
    almost makes you feel like you did it right or something

I have rattled in a few over the yrs, its always cool to see them looking for what made the noises there looking for!

Hadnt had any luck with ratt;ing deer but can tale ya I rattled the other evening, and soon as i put the rattling bag down, a big Coyote came running in..... I grabbed my bow to get a shot but he wasnt stopping!!!!!!!!

Where you using the rattle bag or actual horns?

Cool story thanks for sharing! last weeknd i had no luck rattling but it sure seems things have picked up this week...

Senior Member zach-the-deer-slayer's Avatar
    I was using a rattle bag. I'm fixin to head out and try it again
    SWAMP DONKEY ASSASSINS!
    We ain't assin around!

Thread Information