Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rut activiity is kicking in

but your bottom dollar its kickin in Nov1 three bucks in less than an hour cruisin today, had to was my clothes busted twice!

Currently Mason, but raised in adams county
    Quote Originally Posted by apostledon View Post
    but your bottom dollar its kickin in Nov1 three bucks in less than an hour cruisin today, had to was my clothes busted twice!
    Any Mature bucks? I'm so glad its november! I can't wait to get in a tree!!

Out at my buddy's in the south west corner of Ohio, driving up tonight saw a doe on the edge of a field, backed up and turned the lights behind her. There was a big old 160" buck following her! Can't wait to see what this weekend holds!

Quote Originally Posted by SSpengSS View Post
    Blackbeard...sorry it's taken me forever to get back to you, brother! I've got a 1-week old newborn boy and a 2-year old boy so needless to say I've got my hands full as of late.

Solunar tables indicate peak wildlife movement periods predicted by lunar phases. Here's a quick link that explains it:

http://www.solunar.com/the_solunar_theory.aspx

It's important to note that the phases need to be cross-referenced according to your particular location and weather patterns. I quickly do this with an app on my smartphone, called iHunt Journal. I believe I started a thread about it last year. Anyways, below is a screenshot of the app that lets you see how easy it is:

Attachment 9364

It lets you see moonphase, weather, and shooting light and sunrise/sunset. Obviously, you can see the major and minor movement periods as well, which are specifically calculated by location and weather. 5 stars is good...1 star is bad. These have been so consistant it is silly. I consider this first if I question hunting on a particular day/time. Don't get me wrong, I don't hesitate to go out when there is only 1 star or movement time isnt during normal peak hunting hours....I'm a believer that you need to be out there if you want to kill a big boy, but I've noticed such a big difference in hunting productivity when I follow the solunar predictions that I can't deny it and truly believe they are more accurrate than not. I do believe weather trumps all, but this is a close second. If you can be out when a coldfront is about to blow through and there is 5 star major movement predicted in that timeframe, I can almost guarantee you will see lots of deer!

Take that with a grain of salt, but I'd encourage everyone just to take note of it and see if you have the same consistant experience I have.

Good luck!
    I couldn't agree more with what was said here! For the past 2 years I have started to really pay attention to all of the conditions for any given hunt (especially moon phases) and record everything into a note book... and of all the factors that seem to control daytime deer movement my results show that weather is number one and moon phase is a close second...

that being said there is some times when the weather and moon phase may not be the best and i have recorded high deer movement... and also the other way around, with conditions perfect and no deer movemment... but these instances are few and far between...

also, just wanted to add... As i pulled into the shop that i work out of in Hudson on thursday afternoon, i noticed one of our guys doing some work in the lot with a bobcat skid steer. as i was checking out what he was doing, a buck ran across the lot maybe 10 yds behind the skid steer while it was running... i parked my truck and flagged the guy in the machine to walk with me and as we went to check out where the buck had gone, he came running up on us, stopped at 5 yds, checked us out, then tore off through the CRP at the back of the prop. and chased 2 does in circles for 10 minutes or so until they all moved on... he was a 2 1/2 yr. old...
    anyway... the are getting stupid and in my estimation IT'S ON! as soon as i get out of work i will be parked in a treestand all weekend!

Best of luck guys!

Quote Originally Posted by bds9 View Post
    Any Mature bucks? I'm so glad its november! I can't wait to get in a tree!!
    10pt went about 140s, 8pt might have went 120

Thread Information