Thread: Setting up a new stand ??

Setting up a new stand ??

I have been checking out an area on maps and aerials that Ive never hunted or scouted. From the look on the map I have a strong feeling deer are using this area going to and coming from feeding. Yes this is public land. I want to set up a hang-on stand in this area. I can only hunt the weekends but I do have vacation in November. I would use my climber but this is so far in a hang-on would be the best option.
    Now my plan for doing this is as follows. I have marked a spot in this area with my gps. I plan on leaving the truck well before daylight hopefully arriving in this area at first light. Then finding a tree getting set-up and hunting and adjusting from there. My only worry with this is getting busted while placing the stand. I have no ideal what time they might be going through. From the look of the maps and aerials I've looked at I'm sure they are using it. I know call me nuts.
    Does this sound good or should I go at it a different way? How would you go about this?

I no u don't want to waste a hunt my option would be go hunt where u normally hunt and then in between hunts go set up ur stand exactly were u want it instead of kinda blindly setting it up or I would first take the climber back there the first time and make sure that's where u want to set it up at and everything. I would not do the option of going back there in the am and set it up befor the am hunt I just don't like that idea for me anyways but it's ur call bud good luck

i agree with bowguy2 i would use a climber or go in mid day or on a rainy day that gives you a chance to look for other hunters and deer signs

See that's why I come here. Never thought of that. Your right I don't want to waste a hunt. Heading back there midday would be the best bet. Since I've only put this hang-on up once it might not go as planed. I have to say this area looks very promising from the maps and aerials I've looked at. But then again it could be a complete waste of time.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    I agree with the mid day idea. That way you can work in the light and scout the area better before setting the stand.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

OK I'm nuts
    but I agree with above, ONLY
    if it was possible for you to do, I would personally take the climber and a LOC on, and even use the climber to maybe hang the loc on stand
    my logic is, if I am going to walk in might as well take both and then the walk out will be lighter
    I personally like to use a ladder to hnag my stands, it allows me to see the view from above before I do all the work in getting steps in and such
    but get thats not possibe for most guys
    BUt a climber would work maybe the same way, could get up a tree, hunt and if you like the set, pull up the loc on and as you climb down hang your sets for the loc on
    I have done this with screw in steps and it made hanging the stand way easy too being able to stand and work on it
    but guess screw in steps are not legal on public lands

if not willing to carry both I would for sure just use the climber, then can adjust as needed
    and in all honesty being on public lands and 5 out of the 7 days in a week you will be leaving a stand sit
    I woul;d worry it would grow legs when i wasn't there like so many of my stands have over the yrs
    I ONLY use my climber anymore on public lands
    and even on private lands I know get traffic

good luck

Thread Information