Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you guys do to take up the october lull time

what do you guys do to take up the october lull time

just wondering what you guys do during the October lull time ..?? me i try to learn as much as i can about the shooter deer that i have on my list ...im running corn cameras and plot watcher cameras to try and pattern these buck so when they are cruising around during pre-rut i know were i need to be to put a shot on them ...im staying out of the woods as much as possible ,All but to run cameras ..if at anytime i see any day time photos of any shooters i make a plan for that deer and i go after him ....we also use the early days to get out and hang some tree stands cut shooting lanes and clearing paths to the stand of debris....what do you guys do??

I hunt right through it. I have shot plenty of deer in the so-called lull.

I agree... and hunt right though it. I have a stand or two I may not hunt during this time and save till the rut, unless the wind is perfect, then I just can't seem to talk myself out of hunting it. The old mind game "today might be the day he walks right past, so I better be there." However if your not in the woods, you don't have a chance....plus I learn a little bit about the deer in my area each time I'm out, so its a good investment of my time. If your hanging stands now then you might as well be hunting, your putting just as much scent out there, if not more.

what Lull??
    deer where I hunt live there 24/7/365, so I just hunt as always
    I focus more on food in early season, and or just behind it.
    But I don't any differently due to any so called lull.
    watch the weather too, if fronts are coming in I would hunt them days more if I didn't have alot of time to hunt, I would pick days better weather wise then,
    but I am off every day so I can hunt when ever I want
    but this yr so far has been a great yr on der movements(minus last nite)
    so no lull here!

I hunt it as well. Never know whats walking by can't shoot one from the couch.

I hunt selectively.. based on the wind, the weather, and my schedule. I stay out of a couple of stands that will be better during rut... but I jump around the others based on what crops have been taken off and when. I talked to a guy yesterday that shot a nice 10 pt. yesterday after it left a corn field as the farmer was starting to shell corn. I definitely don't see as many bucks during the lull... but I am really only looking for one!

I don't hunt much during the lull.

If the weather is cool and nasty like today, I hunt. If it's sunny and warm like yesterday I head to the lake and fish.

i also hunt selectively and sit in "scouting" stands when i do get out...i'll sit in field edges and glass to see whats coming out...if you don't beleive in the october lull then??? hmmmm...we can spotlight here in pa and every year in the lull i go from seeing 100 up to 300 deer a night to a handful...i've been seeing 15 to 25 deer up back in my fields every night...last 2 nights i saw 3 total...the full moon has a lot to do with it usually too...but i also agree, if you are not out there you can't get one and a big one can wander by your stand at any time no matter what time of the year it is...not having unlimited time i like to save mine for late october and early november.
    Will hunt for food...will work for beer.
    Leave'r Right There!

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksonly View Post
    I agree... and hunt right though it. I have a stand or two I may not hunt during this time and save till the rut, unless the wind is perfect, then I just can't seem to talk myself out of hunting it. The old mind game "today might be the day he walks right past, so I better be there." However if your not in the woods, you don't have a chance....plus I learn a little bit about the deer in my area each time I'm out, so its a good investment of my time. If your hanging stands now then you might as well be hunting, your putting just as much scent out there, if not more.
    Well stated and I couldn't agree more. I figure the more seat time the better my odds are that my target buck will show up. If I'm at home I haven't got a chance.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Thread Information