Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texan comming to Ohio to hunt

Texan comming to Ohio to hunt

I leave Thursday the 18th to drive up to Newcomerstown,OH and was wondering what to expect as far as horns and amount of deer? I hunt in the Pineywoods of east Texas that hold some giants but don't always see alot of deer.

It's hunting not killing deer lol. Ohio holds some giants as well and a lot of deer as well but it can be bad huntin just as easy as it could be good hunting ull see deer but maybe not ones u want to shoot... Good luck

Shouldnt the rut be just kicking off around the 20th? Im just curious as to the east side of Ohio around Newcomerstown as to what to expect

Maybe pre rut deff not rut best spots in my opinion in Ohio are Holmes county coshocton county and surrounding county's if I may ask are u hunting public ?

well welcome to the site
    and as for bucks, , its like any state some areas are better managed than others
    there are BIG bucks all over ohio, but there not behind every tree
    as for the rut, In my opinion, the rut starts about the last few days of OCt. and then from there it gets better or not, pending weather
    hot and rain, typically is a bad rut yr, and very nocturnal breeding
    if its cold, with some snow, its a better rut, with peak being say the nov 6- 15th or so, after that you are getting the tail end of things as for peak rut
    and then once gun season starts, the deer start to know whats up, like in most states

and don't forget to read the rule book for Ohio,
    NO rifle 's allowed
    just a reminder coming from a state that allows rifle hunting
    gun season is for shotgun, muzleloader, and certian pistols
    No centerfire rifles

and rules for baiting, no baiting on public lands in Ohio
    just a heads up
    and good luck!

Alot of nice deer come from that area. Newcomerstown is in Tuscarawas Co. Just a couple miles west is Coshocton Co. And a few miles south and your in Guernsey Co. Most years these counties are the three top producers in the state. IMO you are where they are at. It's up to you to find them and make the shot. Good luck.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

I will not be hunting public land. My uncle knows some guys that live up there and they invited us up to hunt with them on their land. Mrbb, yes i had heard that is no rifle season up there just shotgun and muzzleloader but im only going up there with my bow. I am like a kid waiting on christmas right now and still have till thursday before we leave. Thanks everyone for the information!

How about rattling and grunting? Where we hunt down here you are better off leaving that stuff at the house because it hurts you a lot more than it helps.

I have had success with rattling when I started hunting on the ground, never had much success from a tree. Some on here have. You might be here a little early for the prime time, I don't know, can't hurt to try. Grunting has worked for me alot more than rattling.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Hey thanks for all the info guys! I guess ill take back almost everything Ive said about yankees!

Thread Information