Thread: Tell us about your miss/misfortune

Share your miss/misfortune

Alright so this is a tester thread, I think it has potential and hopefully helpful to some due to the fact that things happen that are unfortunate in hunting and sometimes the best way to get over it is to share it, or read about someone else's. these could be stories whether you missed or they saw you draw or winded, or whatever.

I'll start it off with today for instance haha at first light before shooting hours had a doe in the bottom feeding and that one doe turned into two turned into 3, and I had watched em for about 39 minutes till they headed my way. A fawn was bout 30 Yds out the two older does were coming inand then the doe joined her at 30, they were moving to my left which woulda given me a shot at 20 yds. They went behind a tree and I drew and when they stepped out the fawn was in front of her, so here I am at full draw they are walking straight at me and then the old doe spots me, she doesn't like it but she can't tell what I am, so she never takes her eye off me while im at full draw. She started circling back and now to my right to get downwind and I had a spot marked at 25 I thought we'll needless to say being at draw for bout 2-3 minutes and misjudging the distance aren't a good combination. I shot a under her, oh well it is what it is, I'm just glad I completely missed her.

Currently Mason, but raised in adams county
    About 8 years ago I was hunting on a farm that's literally right behind a Chevrolet dealership(this farm is actually for sale now and was featured on one of them fancy hunting shows) I was really pretty care free about scent at the time and only played the wind when it was convenient. Anyhow I was set up on a small ridge that led directly into a super thick cedar thicket. It was early november. I am just sitting in my tree smoking a cigarrette and I see an absolute giant buck out of the corner of my eye walk into the thicket. I blew every call I had with me and he never even looked my way. So after I couldn't see him for a half hour or so I came to terms that he was long gone. So about an hour goes by and I was again smoking a cigarette(I think this must have been the luckiest pack of smokes I had ever had), I notice a doe walking straight to me down the ridge. I stood up and got ready, let her walk by me and on out to about 30 yards when she turned broadside. As soon as she turned I drew my bow and as I got anchored I noticed the beast of a buck busting through the brush right for her! I thought I was the luckiest person in the world, he came in like he was reading a script, right to that doe and stuck his nose right in her rear end. I knew this was 30 yards because I stepped it off before I got in my stand. Anyhow, I shot, and it seemed like it took that arrow five minutes to get there and then CRACK! I had dead centered a 3/4" sapling that I didnt see! The buck jumped and ran directly to the base of my tree not knowing what happened. The doe ran into the thicket. Now I always take three arrows, I nock one, then use the other two to fasten my quiver around my bow hanger. So I'm shaking like a leaf cuz a giant ten pointer is standing directly below me, trying to slowly get another arrow nocked. The buck is standing there stomping and snorting at the sapling thats still wobbling and I finally get another arrow nocked. I clip my release on my loop and then I hear the sound of my quiver hitting my stand platform and then watch it fall down and hit the buck right between the shoulder blades! Needless to say, he took off and was never seen again! And to this day I'd say he is still the biggest buck I've ever had a good oppurtunity at killing and I kick myself in the butt every time I think about it!!

Last year I have a Mornin where it just started out all bad I forgot my release at home and my buddy had a extra back tension release well let's just say I had a doe at 12 yards and my first shot I hit a foot under her she never moved just kept feeding we were next to a busy highway and I was like damn I must have moved bad nocked another arrow missed her again this time she runs off to about 22 yards calms down and continues feeding nocked another arrow an put my 40 yard pin on her and shot righ over top of her. Had shot all 3 of my arrows that I had with me and didn't even hit her. Next day I shot her at 38 yards with my own release of course I no it was her bc she had a slit in her ear and she was always sticking around the area. Heard shot went 5 yards and fell over dead.

Mine takes place last year. I spent a lot of time public hunting in PA. My range finder had been out of batteries for a while, I couldn't find the right one. That morning I had a 10 point come in and with out the range finder I judged the yardage wrong. I shot dead on but, right over the back. Need less to say right after that I drove right to town and made sure I found batteries.
    2008-2009 Team Challenge Champs
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

"He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"

Actually I have a good one in m back pocket haha so last fall was hunting the top of a saddle and the last week of October I saw bucks and does moving in the bottom bout 80 Yds down. I decided to stick it out in my stand tho and not move. Well it was the first Friday in Nov, perfect morning and again deer in the bottom so at the end of the day I got an idea of which tree I wanna sit in down there and I'd take my climber the next day.

The next morning as I'm climbing, bout half way up the tree I hear a deer running so I stop climbing and shut off my light. Behind that first deer is another one and he's grunting and they continue running up the saddle and over the ridge. At this point I was all revved up cuz a doe was in heat in my area.

Well 2.5 hours went by and I here something moving then grunting and I stand up and turn around and there stands the biggest buck I've seen while hunting, and he's under my old stand, good thing tho is he's coming right at me. Well he ses to be bee lining it right at me and is 60 Yds out and to my misfortune he hits the trail that doe was earlier, turns 180 degrees and to rub it in, he ran right past my old stand again.... Never saw him again.

Just pulled another little mess up. I accidentally set my camera up to take pictures during a certain time and never even set a time!! Came back the mineral site and everything was tore up.
    2008-2009 Team Challenge Champs
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

"He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"

3 years ago I am in my stand before light, about 8:00 it starts to drizzle rain and I am seeing deer, does and small bucks so I am thinking maybe today is the day to see him. Had 100s of trail cam pics of a 150ish inch 10 point. I sat till 11:30 and hadnt seen anything for an hour or so. I stand up hook my bow to my rope and when my bow is about 3 feet from the ground I hear something turn around and there he is running full bore at my tree. Gets to about 25 yards and looks all around and beds down. He actually looked at my bow laying there a few times. It happend so fast I couldnt get my bow back up. That pig laid there until 3:00 before getting up and moving. All I could do is watch him. I was so disgusted it wasnt funny, neighbor killed him in Muzzle loader season. I never got a buck that year.

Thread Information