Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needin some advice

Needin some advice

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and wanting to ask for a little help. I'm from Alabama and a friend of mine moved to Ohio. He lives in Coshocton Co. and has invited me to come up and hunt towards the end of November which is when gun season opens, I think. I have hunted Illinois and Kentucky but never Ohio. Is this county a good place to hunt, when is the rut, does it usually produce large bucks? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

well welcome to the site
    to answer some of your questions,
    one, that is a good county, YES< but there are many good county's in Ohio
    but then again big bucks are killed all over ohio, in every county so???

what sized bucks will be where you hunt depend on so many things, from QDM to locals, to pressure to how much crop lannds to how many people live there , how much lands are open to hunting and NOT to hunting and so on and on!!
    just naming a county isn't a way to say you will see big or small or any bucks or deer at all!
    quality depends on a ton of things
    and yes again BIG bucks will get killed every yr in Ohio, yes in that county too!
    but it sure doesn't mean there behind every tree or you will even see one where you hunt,
    no matter what county it is!

next the rut typically starts about mid nov in Ohio, can be early or later but the middle of nov is about average, this yr things seem to be starting early all over so??

gun seson( shotgun, or muzzleloader or pistol, no centerfire rifles allowed in Ohio's gun season, so read up the laws if you plan to go then)
    it starts the fist monday I believe right after turkey day, same day it starts here in PA( I'm from PA)

the best advice I can give you is,

if your friend lives in Ohio, and hunts there , your best bet would be to be asking him what to expect, as he would have the best knowledge of the hunting area you will be hunting, and thus the best answers
    good luck

Rut is in late february and Coshocton is terrible!

Pre rut starts end of November and one of the best days of the rut normally Is around November 7th some where give or take iv never really had much rutting action after the 16th of November and of course u have the post rut but like Mrbb said u can't really go to wrong hunting in Ohio anytime in November. Depending on the area of course. Ohio is arguably the best hunting on this side of the nation with Kentucky in there a well. Depending on how the property u will be hunting managed there should be good deer there. It is a goo county to be in that's for sure big deer taken there every year. Will u see one who knows its called hunting deer not killing deer lol. Good luck

I mean end of October not November pre rut is end of October for the most part if say

Quote Originally Posted by OHBooner View Post
    your not being very hospitable OHBOONER lol but we are seeing signs of the rut coming in middle of nov give or take a week depending on wether or not we go into another tropical heat wave
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

That's funny.
    They cancelled the rut this year. No rut in Ohio....
    If I had a friend who lived here and invited me to huntI would be all over him for information
    Good luck

LMAO!!!!!! sorry but that was just funny...welcome to the site and i believe mrbb nailed it right on the head there..best bet would get ahold of your buddy and talk to him, have him email trailcam pics, pics of the stands, google earth the property, etc... do the best scouting you can from where you are now and will make for a better time when ya get here
    Elite Pure 30" 60lb
    G5 XR2 sight
    Quad HD drop away
    Easton bloodlines 400
    muzzy 3 blade 100gr

Cosh. County has some monsters ive hunted the public out there ...if your hunting private property then your in some of the best hunting ohio has to offer ...there is great hunting all over ohio but your most likely in a honey hole...and if they manage the property thats obvousley a big plus ..good luck

Coshocton is great. Even the public hunting there is great. I'd say you can start killing bucks due to rutting activity staring the very last part of October. First part of November is typically the best.

Thread Information