Athletic Greens
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where have my deer gone?

Where have my deer gone?

Looking for input from you guys...I had two trail cams set up over mineral licks through August until last week. At one spot I was seeing a group of 4 bucks and a number of does and the second location I was seeing a couple bucks and and 3-4 does. Both spots I was getting regular pictures both day and night.

About 3 weeks ago both spots have dried up and I am not getting any pics of either the does or bucs:001_07:..Any idea what might have happened or where the deer are?

Quote Originally Posted by tim1676 View Post
    Looking for input from you guys...I had two trail cams set up over mineral licks through August until last week. At one spot I was seeing a group of 4 bucks and a number of does and the second location I was seeing a couple bucks and and 3-4 does. Both spots I was getting regular pictures both day and night.

About 3 weeks ago both spots have dried up and I am not getting any pics of either the does or bucs:001_07:..Any idea what might have happened or where the deer are?
    Find the cut corn fields..
    We are all seeing the same thing.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    The deer vacate the mineral licks for the most part come mid September. I think your best choice is to find the oaks. Acorns are dropping like crazy in Carroll County and probably all over Ohio. I'd say acorns are the top food source at this time.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Quote Originally Posted by hortontoter View Post
    The deer vacate the mineral licks for the most part come mid September. I think your best choice is to find the oaks. Acorns are dropping like crazy in Carroll County and probably all over Ohio. I'd say acorns are the top food source at this time.
    Nailed it. If you don't have something extra like corn at your mineral site now you might as well figure you won't get much action. The acorns and changing food patterns has them moving around. This time of year the deer are not seeking the minerals as much since antlers are done growing and a lot of fawns are being weaned off now.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

I've noticed the change, as well. I went from having tons of deer activity in Aug through mid-Sept, down to maybe 3-4 deer caught on camera every other day. A couple of weeks after velvet dropped, the big bucks seem to have dispersed now and gotten out of their summer routine. Still have the young deer and several doe show up to the corn pile, but not on a regular basis anymore.
    If I'm Not Out Hunting, I'm Thinking About It!
    Victory VForce & Carbon Express Hot Pursuit arrows
    Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 100gr
    Scott Archery Little Bitty Goose release

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Holla View Post
    Nailed it. If you don't have something extra like corn at your mineral site now you might as well figure you won't get much action. The acornI and changing food patterns has them moving around. This time of year the deer are not seeking the minerals as much since antlers are done growing and a lot of fawns are being weaned off now.
    I agree. Another reason are the bachelor groups are starting to break up. You might catch a older buck having a point man at this time but that to will soon end. When I start seeing fresh rubs that tells me the boys have separated.

yeah the deer quit hitting the mineral licks pretty much early september as stated above...i've had 2 great mineral licks for the last several years in 2 spots...i get 500 plus pics every week on one and over 200 on the other during the spring and summer...once sept. hits the pics start dwindling...i still get 200 on the one but only about 50 on the other...and the buck sightings really drop off.
    Will hunt for food...will work for beer.
    Leave'r Right There!

OK...Thanks for all the post. At least I don't think I did something to run the deer off, just a matter of time of the year

Like the others said, boys are breaking off by now. It's been my experience that when this happens they tend to start utilizing other travel routes as well. Whete I hunt, that means some of the older routes. I have a few different stand locations that I set up to try to catch where there paths cross. Good luck and hang in there

The mysterious Oct. lull. Happens every year around this time a little bit before the rut.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Thread Information