Thread: New to ground blinds

Hybrid View

Like hortontotor said...."welcome to the challenge of hunting deer treeless".....it's not easy but alot of fun!! I use a camo folding type director's chair in most of my blinds and a squeakless swivel stool in my blind that has more than one prime/main shooting direction/window. As for set up time I usually get mine up no later than labor day. I also like tucking them up alongside a deadfall or near a large standing tree so the don't stick out like a sore thumb!lol I camo them from the branches I clear from my shooting lanes.
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

Currently Mason, but raised in adams county
    I did a few of the things mentioned above, I didn't have to cut any shooting lanes, but I did have to cut a few smaller saplings to help with my brush in. The blind is directly under a big ol cedar tree and I'm pretty sure digging to level it out is gonna be harder than it sounds but I'll try. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hit some roots! But I did leave both of my windows open that I would normally need open for shooting. And I woulda had the blind out earlier, if I had owned it earlier! I literally just got it last saturday as my birthday just passed! So I did set it up sunday, I guess I'm just kinda shocked that after a week they were still treating it like that. And Thanks for the input on the seat, I'm gonna try something new, just not sure which one yet! I'm still hobbling around like an old man!! I don't think the deer seen me, I'm pretty sure they only saw the blind or smelled it one. I was pretty still the entire time and could hear the deer coming before they got to me and blew their heads off. Also, I'm kinda leary about this shoot through mesh. I assume it must work, but I'm just sitting there thinking the whole time that a giant buck is gonna come along and I'm gonna miss him or wound him becuase the mesh affected my arrow flight!(cuz I know there is no chance of buck fever or anything) I'd also like to hear some input on the mesh to ease my concern.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Can't shoot a mechanical through the mesh if you have them. I feel they block my vision too much and I still am not comfortable shooting even a fixed blade through it. If the roots are a problem then maybe you can build something up instead. Dirt and a comfortable pad may work. May even find an old chair and cut the back legs off to get it level.

I will add just a few things. The first year I started using a blind was about 6 years ago. I have an Ameristep penthouse blind and it has now been up for the 4th year without it being taken down ever, it is still in good shape. The first year I had no deer around it at all. Now that it has been a permanent fixture, I've killed deer out of it every year for the last 4 seasons. And as far as the mesh, I shot so many arrows through mine before it was ever in the woods, I had to replace it before I used it for real. I shot fixed blade then and never had a problem shooting through it. It amazed me because I was really sceptical. As far as the chair, I have never found one for me to be comfortable and quiet enough to suit me. I am soon gonna be 58 and have had 8 knee surgeries. This is why I am not bowhunting much this year and maybe alot less in the future. I spent 2 hrs in it opening day and have been sore since then. It will work for you, just leave it out if you can and they will get used to it. Good luck.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Thread Information