Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Live from the stand! By manofthefall

Way to hold off man of the fall you would have regretted shootin a button buck

Ok....Tenn. Here again...been after a big buck I named Clyde all yr.... This weekend waz youth riffle weekend here...yesterday morning couldnt get out due to sons playoff football game...this morning had a lone mature doe work her way in through some sapplings in front of us, sure enough Clyde was trailing her...igot excited..son got riffle ready, he wouldnt Come out of sapplings... Went into a small opening at 60yds...my son shot... Clyde didnt move, I look at son and say chamber another round... Time I look back, he is gone...he swears that he was right on him with the scope and hit him...iwent to where I thought he stood didnt see any emediate blood. If a deer gets hit with a 270 riffle would he stand there for a few secs before bolting? Is there a chance that I wouldnt find blood right at the spot he shot? He tells me he hit him...I guess im going to go back tommorow and walk A little to reassusre myself... Just dont know, I bow hunt never riffle. Whats your take?

Antlrz I would say you should have found hair and blood, if you didn't find either then I say the boy missed. Walk it out tomorrow if it makes you feel better. As far as being on him it possible but could have hit a limb branch or something throwing the trajectory off.

I haven't been out since Saturday evening. I am on my vacation now and once this beyotch Hurricane Sandy clears out I will be pounding the woods. Looks like I will be getting back out either Thursday morning/evening or both.

In stand..weather broke but still a bit windy...decided to try it. Got in at 4....nothing yet....only have one good stand for this wind....see what happens

Good luck out there. Let us know how it went.

Got in stand and all settled in at 3:49. Shot a yearling doe at 3:59. I think that was my second fastest hunt ever.

I was out this morning and it was afairly good morning even though I didn't get anything. I had a nice doe come in at 7:15, but it was too dark to shoot her and legal shooting light wasn't until 7:28. Then at 7:20 another deer came in behind the doe. It was that giant I had been seeing the first two weeks of the season. The doe bolted when he closed to 14 yards of my stand and he was broadside but again it was just too dark to shoot. I think if that doe wouldn't have bolted out of there in about 10 more minutes I would have had a giant on the ground. Then, behind me I had two really nice shooter bucks chasing a group of three doe's about 30-40 yards behind my stand. If those doe's would have just came out past my stand I would have been in business. After that the next 3 hours were quiet and I got down. I won't be able to get back out until Monday morning.

I am not a big fan of decoys, but tomorrow I will be taking out my Montana doe decoy and setting it up where these two shooter bucks I've been seeing has been running these does. I will be spraying her down with the special golden doe estrus and hopefully the big boys will make a bee line for her when I give a few bleats on the can call. If there is ever a time for a decoy, it is now.

So far this morning i have seen a young buck and 1 doe. No shooters yet. I'm about to do some rattling and grunting here now.

Thread Information