Thread: Live from the stand! By manofthefall

Hybrid View

I am not a big fan of decoys, but tomorrow I will be taking out my Montana doe decoy and setting it up where these two shooter bucks I've been seeing has been running these does. I will be spraying her down with the special golden doe estrus and hopefully the big boys will make a bee line for her when I give a few bleats on the can call. If there is ever a time for a decoy, it is now.

So far this morning i have seen a young buck and 1 doe. No shooters yet. I'm about to do some rattling and grunting here now.

I saw a small buck and a doe this morning and that was it. I will be going back out this afternoon.

I'm about to head back out here in a few minutes. I will try and send updates as good as I can.

Unfortunately I forgot my phone at home. So, here is an update of this evening and what will be going on tomorrow. This evening I saw 2 small bucks. One was a 6 point and I think the other one was a 4 pointer. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be a little more exciting. There is a heavy freeze warning for the area so it should be nice and crunchy in the morning and I will be able to hear the big boys coming a long ways off.

Well, I blew a chance at a real beast of a buck this morning. I have been saving my one stand for this week. I hit that stand this morning and it didn't disappoint but I blew it though. Just after legal shooting light I did a blind call with the can and hit the grunt tube a couple times. Immediately I heard movement behind me over my right shoulder. At first sight it looked like a 2 1/2 year old just inside his ears so I didn't get too excited. He then stepped into the clearing 15 yards behind my stand and I saw he was a true beast. His spread was only about 14" but his G 2's were about 12" long. His brow tines were like 8" and they angled in towards each other. I would estimate his bases were like 7"-8". This buck had some serious mass. He was a 10 pointer with a 3 inch kicker off his left G-2. He was broadside on my right side like 10 yards away with a wide open shot. This is where the problem began. I was strictly a crossbow hunter in the past. This tree is really set up pretty much for crossbow use. I even said to myself I should take my crossbow instead of my compound. I could not pull this shot off. I had to wait until he started walking again and draw on him. Then he angled to his right and walked away right behind a tree. I did have an opening at forty yards but I had to stand up. When I stood up there was a branch in my way and I still couldn't shoot. Eventually i had to just let him walk away. The one good thing about all this is he didn't spook at all. So, tomorrow morning I will be back out in the same stand with my good old Horton Legend.

sucks about the shot. let us know how it goes!!

Thread Information