Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Live from the stand! By manofthefall

I saw a small buck and a doe this morning and that was it. I will be going back out this afternoon.

I'm about to head back out here in a few minutes. I will try and send updates as good as I can.

Unfortunately I forgot my phone at home. So, here is an update of this evening and what will be going on tomorrow. This evening I saw 2 small bucks. One was a 6 point and I think the other one was a 4 pointer. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be a little more exciting. There is a heavy freeze warning for the area so it should be nice and crunchy in the morning and I will be able to hear the big boys coming a long ways off.

Well, I blew a chance at a real beast of a buck this morning. I have been saving my one stand for this week. I hit that stand this morning and it didn't disappoint but I blew it though. Just after legal shooting light I did a blind call with the can and hit the grunt tube a couple times. Immediately I heard movement behind me over my right shoulder. At first sight it looked like a 2 1/2 year old just inside his ears so I didn't get too excited. He then stepped into the clearing 15 yards behind my stand and I saw he was a true beast. His spread was only about 14" but his G 2's were about 12" long. His brow tines were like 8" and they angled in towards each other. I would estimate his bases were like 7"-8". This buck had some serious mass. He was a 10 pointer with a 3 inch kicker off his left G-2. He was broadside on my right side like 10 yards away with a wide open shot. This is where the problem began. I was strictly a crossbow hunter in the past. This tree is really set up pretty much for crossbow use. I even said to myself I should take my crossbow instead of my compound. I could not pull this shot off. I had to wait until he started walking again and draw on him. Then he angled to his right and walked away right behind a tree. I did have an opening at forty yards but I had to stand up. When I stood up there was a branch in my way and I still couldn't shoot. Eventually i had to just let him walk away. The one good thing about all this is he didn't spook at all. So, tomorrow morning I will be back out in the same stand with my good old Horton Legend.

sucks about the shot. let us know how it goes!!

Back in the same stand this evening I saw the big boy in Tuesday morning. I haven't hunted this stand in the evening yet and it's only the third time in it this year. Hopefully something goes down tonight!!!!!

It has been awhile since i posted on this thread. I will be going out this evening (Sat. Dec 29th) trying to put one down. I will try and post live updates again. That was fun. Once it gets to be prime time I may have to wait until the hunt is over though, lol. Tune in for live action this afternoon beginning around 3:30pm.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Good luck to you ManOfTheFall!! Glad to see you are still out after them!

In stand and ready. Saw 2 on my way in. Hoping that is a good sign. Was also scared to death when about 500 doves took off at the same time, lol. Check back for updates.

Nothing since I settled in except alot of birds. I must be hidden well though. I had a bird land on me and walk around on my leg.

Thread Information