Athletic Greens
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohioruts 2012 In the Stand Hunting Blog

Ohioruts 2012 In the Stand Hunting Blog

Since I love reading hunting stories, especially ones that tell a tail that ends in success, I figured I would start one myself. This is for anyone that enjoys these just as I do.

By no means am I a writer or a great story teller, but I will do my best to keep this interesting and somewhat informative.

I just want to document my hunting experience to share with those that like this sort of thing. Hopefully this blog will end with a great success picture at the end?!?

I will be updating periodically as the season progresses from the stand and desk. I'm sure pictures will be added throughout as well.

Thanks to all that will read and wish everyone of you luck and success in the woods this fall!

Jason
    2010 Hoyt Maxxis 31 29" Draw | 65# Draw Weight
    Lotus 3-Pin | QAD Ultra-Rest PRO HD | Fuse 8" Stabalizer | Fuse Satori 5 Arrow Quiver | G5 Peep | TruBall Release | Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595 | G5 T3 100gr.

Preseason

So I began the preseason doing very little scouting which I regret but had been extremely busy. I'm hunting my second year on a 250 acre farm so i kind of got a general idea.

I had bounced around with a climber last year so had a little in season scouting from the year before to get a little idea of stand placements for this year.

But, as mentioned, I was so busy that I didn't get the sets up until the second week in September. Talk about procrastination. Didn't get a camera out there until last Monday 9/24 and haven't touched the area since. None the less, the first stand is set in a creek bottom about 75 yards from a bean field. Good sign everywhere as there is a rub line between me and the beans stretching the field. Stand hung, camera mounted, stand 1 ready to go!

View behind me to the left

View directly to my left

View directly in front of me

View directly to my right

View behind me to my right

Stand - 20' up

Some rubs

Lotus 3-Pin | QAD Ultra-Rest PRO HD | Fuse 8" Stabalizer | Fuse Satori 5 Arrow Quiver | G5 Peep | TruBall Release | Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595 | G5 T3 100gr.

Season Begins 9/29/2012

Day 1

In the stand around 6am. Cool, clear morning. Nothing like the silence of the woods early in the morning. Got settled in and heard some leaves crunching to my right, up the hill a little. Too dark to see, but gets your heart a pumping.

Beautiful to see the woods wake up and not even know you are in it's presence.

No action early on until right around 7:45am.

Had a nice buck come in from the field and down towards the creek bottom from my front left direction. Picked up white tail movement and then realized it was a buck. He was about 50-60 yards out from me. Slowly turned to grab my bow from the hanger. Turned around and watched him come down to the bottom. Thoughts were going through my head at the time and I was talking to myself...

"Is he a shooter?"

"Not sure, he would have to come my way more to find out, but looks good from this distance"

"Will he come this way?"

"I hope so"

"If I end up taking him this morning, will I regret it later when the bigger boys are out playing"

So many things going through my head. Heart thumping, knees start to shake. Unfortunately, when he got to the bottom, seemed like something alerted him and he back tracked a little ways and then started off away from me towards a big oak cluster that I had hunted on last year. Acorns everywhere. I turned around and grabbed my flextone grunt tube from my bag and proceeded to blow on that a couple times to see if I could entice him to come my way. He wasn't having it. Ok, wait it out, still early. I figured he would do just like they did last year. Go up to the acorns, munch around for a bit, and then come back my way. At least that is what they did last year. So I waited.

By this time, it's about 8:15am and I'm texting my buddy and dad telling them what I just seen. At the same moment I'm texting, I look up and see more deer movement at the edge of the woods but up about 100 yards. No idea exactly how many, but seen two in the sun light.

Well, I was a little bummed he never came back through, and in fact, bummed I didn't see anything else this morning. Down out of the stand around 10:20am, grabbed my card from the camera and off to the truck.

Checked the card after I arrived home...does and small 6 pointer.

Can't hunt tonight, but will be in the same stand tomorrow morning and then thought about hunting my other set up in the evening.

To be continued...

Day 2 (9/30/2012)

Didn't get out in the morning.

Afternoon hunt.

Arrived at stand 1 location about 3:10pm. Same stand as 9/29 morning, in the creek bottom. Decided to try Buck Jam liquid mineral lick, apple flavor. Dumped some about 20 yards from my stand. Climbed up and in the stand and settled in at 3:20pm.

Sunny, clear, temperature 66 degrees. Winds were mainly out of the North/North West at 8-10mph, but kind of swirling in the creek bottom from time to time. I was a little concerned about that but was already there so decided to stick it out. Dripped a little Tinks 69 on some leaves as a cover scent as well. Ready to go!

Contemplated on my way in whether I should tickle the horns a little. Well, shortly after settled in, decided to grab the Knight n Hale Pack Rack and have a go at it. It's 3:30pm at the time. Gave a short little sequence and then just waited.

Nothing.

At 4:15pm decided to turn the Primos can over a few times.

Again, nothing.

At 5:00pm heard some leaves rustling from behind me to my left. Oh yeah, here they come. Quickly stood, reached for the bow and slowly glanced over my left shoulder. Heart was beating quick! Anticipation of turning and seeing some deer coming in on me. Freaking TURKEYS!! 15 of them. Grrrrr!

Apologize for the bad pick, tried to be extremely still but they caught me moving and scattered quick up the hill. You can see one just left of center in the pic.

Anyhow, my heart just slowed down a bit when I actually did catch glimpse of a deer walking above me between the creek bed and field edge at 5:20pm. It was traveling towards me, but jumped out into the field and I lost sight of it from there.

Turned the Primos can over a few more times and again waited.

At 5:35pm, peaked over my right shoulder as I thought I heard something. Sure enough, a buck coming down the hill from my right side, heading directly below me. I could tell he wasn't the one right off, only a small 8, but was fun watching him come down and cross the creek, walk 20 yards in front of me, and then walk up the hill to my left towards the field. Only he stayed in sight the entire time. He never went to the field. He stayed up on the hill between me and the field for about 40 minutes munching on acorns. I was able to watch him the entire time.

One thing is great about having a deer within sight of you while on stand. You will always know where another deer is coming from by watching the one you see closely. Well, unfortunately he never gave me that hint, but 15 more turkeys came in from behind me. They again either winded me or seen me move, as they came in and then quickly scattered. It was about that time I told myself I would probably suck at turkey hunting as those things can pick up the slightest movement. Buck still remained calm and eating acorns.

Well, it was about 6:15pm or so and the small buck came back down towards the creek bottom, traveling the same path he came and then stopped off in the creek for a little refreshment. Got a video of him but not sure if this link will work so bare with me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18NoqRqTlxA&feature=plcp

He continued on up the creek and out of sight for the evening. The remainder of the evening was blah! Not another sighting the rest of the evening.

Until next weekend...

EDIT: Sorry, the video link failed. Not sure how to embed videos from hosted sights like photobucket...anyone know? Thanks.

I enjoyed your blog...great Idea. Will check to keep an eye on your progress this season. Best of luck. KB
    Mathews Chill-R, Carbon Express, Rage

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Great blog Ohiorut!! Love the fact you are documenting things with pictures. Sure adds to the moment to see what you are writing about!!
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Day 3 10/6/2012

Evening Hunt.

Decided to hunt my bean field stand that sits on the North East portion of this property at the base of a long wood line finger that splits 2 bean fields. This being the first time hunting this stand this year, as it's the furthest walk from the truck and I figured it would be an evening producing stand rather than a morning stand.

I had arrived at the property at 3:15pm. Headed to the stand and got settled in at approximately 3:45pm after a 20 minute walk.

Stand faces south and is approximately 20ft up.

View of back left...

View of directly left...

View left/front

View right/front

View directly right

View back left

This evening was sunny and clear. Temp of 55 degrees at arrival. Winds out of the West/Northwest at approximately 13 mph.

Placed some Tinks 69 on some leaves in front of me and then sat down, turned the primos can over a couple times and waited.

No action until 6pm this evening. I had rattled the knight n hale pack rack a little and within 1 minute, had a small 8 point come in from my rear left at 30 yards. He walked out into the bean field and proceeded to follow the wood line finger out of site.

Sorry for the shaking and bad video...LOL...was watching him more with my eyes than finding him on the camera.

Not 15 minutes later, I seen more deer coming from the same direction. A closer look and it was a small buck. A 4 point. Directly following him, a small 6 point. The 6 point stayed on the edge of the woods for a bit, rubbing a small sapling as the 4 point fed in the beans. After watching them for about 20 minutes, they moved on in the same direction as the small 8 just a little earlier.

Remainder of the evening was uneventful up until 10 minutes left of legal shooting time. As I seen and was watching some deer about 200 yards out in the field that came from the neighboring corn field, I was kind of bobbing my head to look at them through some limbs and leaves. As I looked around to my right, behind me, I noticed what looked to be a deer silhouette. When I realized it was, I stayed still, but it was a little too late as she raised her white tail and kind of slowly trotted back the way she came.

It was too dark to see how far she had went, but shortly after I lost sight of her, I got the blow down. Another deer was around, and decided to blow at me. Could see two white tails leaping away. Busted!

Slowly packed my things, climbed down and made my way back to the truck. Unfortunately I had to walk the edge of the field that the deer 200 yards away were. As I approached them, just barely visible, I seen two take off, but the one that was about 50 yards into the field stayed calm. I had thought it was a buck from my stand as I had watched them, and sure enough, I could just make out his rack sticking up. Looked like a shooter.

All in all, an eventful evening. Seen a total of 9 deer, 4 of which were bucks, one of which a shooter.

Plan is to hunt my creek bottom stand tomorrow morning.

Great blog keep it up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jwright View Post
    Great blog keep it up!!
    i agree great job man like them storys a lot look forward to more be safe n keep em coming

Day 3 10/7/2012

Morning Hunt.

- Temperature at time of arrival - 41 degrees
    - Winds out of the West/Northwest at 0-3mph
    - Cool and Crisp morning
    - Overcast
    - Creek bottom stand facing south
    - Time of arrival to property 6:15am
    - Settled into stand at 6:35am

This morning hunt was weird to say the least. Decided to take the 300yd walk to my stand in the dark, no flash light. Don't normally do this, but decided it was light enough going down the tractor path that I could manage it. Rounded the point (treeline point in the fenced in cow field) and headed to the bean field and not 30 yards in front of me a deer boogered. Scared the living life out of me. Almost had to head back home for a change of undies. Anyhow, continued onto the stand.

Once I got to the entrance into the woods from the edge of the bean field, I slipped in, only to hear two more deer spook and scatter down in the bottom. Sounded like they were right there at my stand. I stopped for a moment, in the dark, with my light on at this moment. Turned the light on when I entered the woods so that I could see.

I continued on to the bottom, hearing the deer snort and blow at me. As I walked by the spot that I dumped some of the buck jam from a previous hunt, I seen they had it tore up a little. Figured that is what they were doing when I spooked them. I slowly attached my bow and proceeded to climb the tree. Deer were still blowing at me. One from behind, one from directly right of me up the hill a little. I quickly pulled the bow up, nocked an arrow, got situated and sat down. Hit the grunt tube a few. Couple response blows back at me. Continued this for a few sequences. Don't think they really knew what I was, so I think I kept them from stampeding off with the grunting. Time now was about 6:35am, and hour before light and 1/2 hour before legal shooting time.

After about the third sequence of chatter between me and the deer, I heard the one behind me leap off. The one to my right was quiet. I figured that deer had already scattered. Finally, quietness in the woods. Maybe it will settle within this next 1/2 hour and I'll be able to see something.

Well, 7:30am rolls around and I hear leaves rustling to my right/rear. Slowly glance around and make out a deer. It was just light enough to see as the sky being overcast really didn't give me that 1/2 hour before sunrise time. Anyhow, watched as she slowly came down and circled around me. My guess was she was the deer up the hill to my right, as she was really scoping out the area and proceeding cautiously.

She came around my backside and up my left side, heading towards the mineral lick. She looked up at me, got curious, and came in at 5yds. I was shaking like crazy, unable to make a move. It was at this point in time I actually felt weird. My body started to get week, and I was starting to get light headed. I was about to screw it up and just sit down, as I was standing at the time, but battled my way through the feeling. Man, it was weird. Thinking it had to do with the coffee kicking in, my adrenaline up and not having any food inside me. I didn't like that feeling 20ft up in the air though, that's for sure.

So, anyhow, she moved on up the hill to the acorns at about 8:00am and moved her way back behind me to my left. I had actually thought she left. At 8:20am, as I was still trying to find her to my rear/left, I heard some crashing directly in front of my stand. Turn slowly to see the 4 point I seen the night before crossing the creek. I watched him for about 1 minute before I heard crashing to my left. Turned and seen the doe that was around me running down the hill to where this buck is. When she got there, I noticed the small 6 as well right behind the 4. She bleated a couple times as well.

Well, this doe was being a little flirtatious with the 4 point. The 4 point was dogging her a little bit in response. All three finally came by me at 20yds to my left, right next to the mineral lick.

The doe, the 4 point and then the small 6. Here is the 6 right near the mineral lick. It can be seen directly to the left of the deer (bare spot). Apologize for the crappy pics. Cell phone, plus bad light plus bow in hand plus trying not to get busted causes this.

So, as they proceeded to go behind me, something boogered the bucks and the doe, as all them started taking off. I don't think it was me, but not 100% sure. The bucks left the area, but the doe ran and then stopped within sight still. Don't think she seen what they seen. She stayed within sight but out of range for a little bit, then started to slowly work her way back towards me. I then lost her again. Waited a few moments and then put the rattle pack together at about 8:45am.

Well, this alerted her once again and she was on her way down, cautiously, to investigate. She came down behind me and when she was about 40yds, I started to feel funny again, but this time my gut :001_07: :o15: Anyhow, I let out a 'grunt' that I was even impressed with that actually got her attention. I assure you, this was not from the flextone. I was afraid, as she approached, that she would wind me Luckily I think I was high enough in the tree! She came over to the lick again and then proceeded with her normal routine. Up the hill to the acorns. She actually stuck around me the entire morning.

I was really impressed on this sit about the curiosity of a deer. How they spook, then will come back into the area a little while after, circles around a few times, spooks again, still comes back. Well, maybe this was a dumb deer?!?

Anyhow, at 9:55am, she finally bedded down about 75yds from me. I thought, oh great, now how am I going to get down. Quickly referred to my past readings, found coyotes howling sound bite, cranked the phone up, let it go. It was about 10:00am at this moment. And nothing! LOL.

At 10:15am, I started to bark like a dog...again, nothing. Yep, she be SLOW. Finally, at 10:30am, put the rack pack together, and she got up, sort of in a curious manner ran up the hill a little and towards me on my left. Then, she blew and took off finally. She didn't see me or know I was there though.

What an interesting sit for sure.

Thread Information