Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do, what to do.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Tomorrow morning you should be sitting on the porch with Grandma sipping a hot cup of coffee watching for them to see what they do and where they go, specifically what big trees they walk past. If they don't show then at that time she could point out where she sees them exactly. It sounds like you are planning to only set up the stand Saturday morning. If you think you will have plenty of time to hang it well before they would go by then do it that way. If not then a couple hours after they go by tomorrow sneak over and get the stand up as quietly and as scent free as possible and get out of there. That's probably how I would handle it, knowing they are already past and bedded rather than have them come early and catch me setting it up. Hunt with Grandma's confidence Saturday morning and good luck!!

I would try to catch them on the travel route for the next week or two. If you can't intercept them on the travel route and decide to go into or right up against the bedding area, I would go in way early (3:30AM) set-up and stay all day. Good luck. KB
    Mathews Chill-R, Carbon Express, Rage

Currently Mason, but raised in adams county
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna set up just shy of the bedding area on their supposed travel route if the wind is permitting. Big Holla, unfortunately I have to work tomorrow or I would be doing just that! I'm thinking about going in about midnight or after tomorrow night and setting up my stand and then be in there bright and early saturday morning. I think theyll be gone by then and maybe give me a little more time to get set up and not feel rushed. I will literally be in my grandmas back yard, I'm hoping that they are somewhat used to her scent as she is pretty active outside. But of course that is just wishful thinking! I always get so excited for opening day only to be disappointed!! hahaha Oh well, at least I'll be in a tree!!!

You posted that you know exactly which tree to put a stand in on their travel corridor. If it were me, stay out of the area until 3am or so Sat morn, hang your stand and hunt. I would try to get as close to the road as possible, but not right on top of it. Stay outta their bedroom, one whiff of your scent around there, and their gone for good. Your best chance for success will be your first sit, so do everything in your power to make it count. Good luck

I see you mentioned that this happened last year at the same spot , Here is a tip, when you get your stand up LEAVE IT TILL NEXT YEAR! then it will be there for you next year and will be part of the furniture . Just upgrade straps etc in june and STAY OUT. If theft is an issue Chain it.

Sound like these guys on here have you pointed in the right direction, good luck tomorrow and give us a update on what happens.

Currently Mason, but raised in adams county
    Well, similiar I should have said!! Same bedding area, different food source! This year there arent' any beans around and the acorns are plentiful.(opposite of last year) I have a perfect setup if they decide to start eating out of the field!! But I'd say theyre not gonna want to exchange acorns for corn right now. I'll let everyone know my results come monday!

From one team member to another. You made the right dicision ( stay out of the bedding area). You know what to do, be quiet, be patient, dont't push it if the winds wrong. There's another day. Now get us some points!! Don't you hate being told what to do? Good luck Ben, I'm really excited for yah.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

If it was me I would sit on the porch Saturday and see just where they go.If you own all the ground and don`t think anyone will go in their and mess you up.It is going to be a full moon and I will bet that they cross the road before daylight but if they cross later you will know where to be next Saturday.I totally agree to stay out of the beding area.I know this isn`t what you want to here but I have learned the hard way about hunting a full moon when its clear out.I`m not going to be sitting where I would like to be Saturday but if you go for them I wish you good luck.

travel route for sure is where to be
    you wont killem siting on the couch

Thread Information