Athletic Greens
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do, what to do.

Currently Mason, but raised in adams county

What to do, what to do.

Ok guys, I have an idea what I'm gonna do saturday morning but I'd like some input from others. Anyhow, My grandma has been seeing 3 big bucks every morning at about 9:30 a.m. cross the road by her house. She says she watches them with her binoculars every day and it's the same three. She says two are big 8 pointers and the other is a twelve pointer. I trust her judgement on what a "big" buck is. I own the property on both sides of the road and I'm almost positive where theyre bedding just from past experiences. I also believe I know where they are coming from. There is a big oak flat on the north side of the road (where the deer are coming from in the mornings) and then a big thicket on the south side of the road(where they're going to). There are numerous trees in the bedding area that I can put a stand in and unlimited trees in the oak flat. There are also quite a few trees between the two areas that I could set up in. I know exactly which tree to put a stand in on the oak flat if I decide to go there, and exactly which tree to put a stand in on their travel route if I decide there. But the bedding area, I'm not sure which tree exactly but I know there are numerous ones that I can get in. I don't wanna go in before saturday morning and risk messing up their pattern and pulling a no-show on me. I really think my best chance to get a crack is in the bedding area but I'm sure I'd have to wait til daylight to get setup in a tree. Is this what you'd do? Or would you just setup on the travel route?

I dont think the bedroom would be a good choice, going to and from is much better, I would guess you have another week of them being there 2 weeks if you are real lucky. Before they spread out. I think your stand should have been there already around 1st of august , especially if one of the bucks are a ole mature buck. A climber now may be in order. I think its to late to mess around with a stand even remotely close to the bed.
    "He is no fool who gives up what he can not keep,
                To gain what he can not lose."

I would agree..I would climb a tree on the travel route and stay out of the bedroom.
    Bear Lights Out 27"/60#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400 arrows
    Whisker Biscuit
    Extreme Archery 3 Pin Sight
    100gr Rage 2 Blade

"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."

Ted Nugent

I would stay away from the bedding area and set up am ambush on the travel route. Good luck and be safe.
    My Church is the woodlands and waterways, in them I have never felt closer to God.

Genesis 27:3

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

I agree with everybody else. Set up with a climber on a trail to or from the bedding area. If you own both sides of the road. Why not just set up right next to the road?

well I too wouldn't hunt the bedding area , maybe close to it, but not in it
    to be honest I would be setting up where your grand ma is actually seeing them, as you already know for SURE they are in that spot on a regular basis

BUT since saturday is opening day, and we all know that other folks will be hunting, that could change there patteren, just from amount of trafffic on the roads to folks in the woods
    making to me staying out of the bedding area even more important, as they might be in there a lot earlier, and bust you climbing a tree

but also might not make them be at the place your grand ma is seeing them in shooting light

I would still set up where she see's them, and if noting happens Sat, then come back on a weekday when odds are they are back to there regular patteren again, if your grand ma see's then again as always
    opening day can change a lot of things

i would sneak in and set up blind on travel route and try to use natural vegetation to maybe help hide the blind or hunt out of a climber and make sure the wind is right

Quote Originally Posted by ghunter View Post
    I agree with everybody else. Set up with a climber on a trail to or from the bedding area. If you own both sides of the road. Why not just set up right next to the road?
    Where they cross on the road is a creek bottom, this is where I'm thinking of setting up on them. However there aren't any trees big enough to get in within 100 yards of the road. Which I realize 100 yards isn't that far, I'm just not sure exactly how they are traveling. Btw, I think(which is a total guess) that the 12 pointer may be "The Big Ten" I've been hunting for the past three years. (only because he is bedding in the exact same area) And in years past, I'd watch him all summer, come august I'd set up what I would think was a perfect stand and then he would completely disapear during daylight hours. Now maybe it had nothing to do with my stand but I think it did and that's why I've decided to definitely have the element of surprise this year and stay completely out of there and let Grandma do my scouting for me!

Oh and I will for sure be playing the wind, the area I plan to set up has trees a plenty so unless we have a SE wind, I should be good regardless of direction.

downwind of the trail before they cross the road???? if gram. says they are BIG ( and i pay attention to ohio res. when they say BIG BUCK ) i would go in when you can see & hit JUST SHY of the bedding area........they are on a pattern now, best time to hammer a ohio hog..

Thread Information