Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/2013 Daily Hunting Report, Deer Activity, Season Information & Rut Report HERE!

StrutnDoe's 9-29 Hunts

9-29-12
    AM Hunt: With the full moon the previous night, I wasn't expecting to see too much activity on this hunt. I stepped off my back porch at 5:15am only to find 2 deer (too dark to tell what they were) walking in the direction of my woods. They saw me and high tailed it out of the area. Oh well, off I went into the woods. I saw a ton of evil tree rats, several turkey and 3 escape peacocks from the aviary down the road. The only other deer I saw was the rear end of a young buck in the field behind me around 9am. Around 11am, I got a bad case of A.D.D. and headed in.

PM Hunt: I headed back into the woods and was on stand by 3:30pm. Around 4:15 a very odd looking 4pt, I've never seen before, came in. His right antler came straight out to the side. This guy was around for about 30 mins when two other 4 pts came in. All 3 of them spent the next hour browsing and sparring. The one with the sideways antler was the aggressor. It was pretty cool to watch.

Had 4 doe come in close to 7pm. I came to full draw as I waited for one to step into my shooting lane. The aggressive young buck did not like the intrusion of these doe and before the one I was waiting for could step into my arrow's path, he chased her and the other 3 doe away. The bucks got tired of the sparring and eventually took off out of the area.

No kill, but an enjoyable hunt just the same.
    If I'm Not Out Hunting, I'm Thinking About It!
    Victory VForce & Carbon Express Hot Pursuit arrows
    Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 100gr
    Scott Archery Little Bitty Goose release

I didn't get a chance to get out and actually hunt this weekend, but my hunting buddy did. He shot a decent doe tonight. He also told me that he seen several scrapes on his way in to his stand today. Clermont County, Batavia area.
    Bear Lights Out 27"/60#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400 arrows
    Whisker Biscuit
    Extreme Archery 3 Pin Sight
    100gr Rage 2 Blade

"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."

Ted Nugent

9/29 Summit Co. Ohio

Had a doe and fawn come in around 8 am. Fawn still having spots not going to shoot her momma. Watched them bed down in a thicket of bushes and CRP grasses.

Later that night watched them come out of their bedding around 6:45 pm and head back into the woods.

Trail cams had limited movement during the day i think due to the full moon. Next weekend looks like a good one!

City Boyz

10/1/12
    evening sit, warm, about 60 with 10+ mph winds, that dies down about 6 pm to almost zero wind, and was about 52 at dark when I got to my truck, so warm weather tonight!
    I got on stand at 4 pm, seen first deer a small spike at 5:45, and then every so often more deer came out
    seen a total of 29 deer this evening, 8 antlered bucks, 6 button bucks, and the rest were either doe or too far/dark to tell for sure
    over all a nice evening on stand
    calling for rain tomorrow so will see

StrutnDoe's 10-1-12 Hunt - Doe Down!

10-1-12
    AM Hunt: Needed some extra coffee this morning before heading out to my stand. Still managed to get there by 6:15am. Around 8:30, I saw 2 doe in the field behind me. Not sure what the larger doe was looking at toward the far end of the field, but she didn't like it. She snorted a bit and then both doe left, though not with tails raised. Since they weren't too spooked, I figured all was not lost. By 11am, I'd not seen anymore deer and decided to head in.

PM Hunt: Got back on stand at 1pm, after a 2 hr break. This was pretty early for the stand I was in, as most activity doesn't begin until after 4pm. Tonight was no different. I saw a lone doe coming toward me, in the woods around 4:30. She got about 70 yards away and then turned and headed into my back field. Nothing else happened until 6:25. Around that time, I heard deer running toward me from my left. Three doe were heading into the woods from my back field. When the lead doe entered the woods, her view was blocked by leaves, so I stood up and drew my bow. She walked into my shooting lane and gave me a perfect broadside shot. My arrow flew straight and true and made a perfect pass thru. The doe ran about 50 yards and that was the end of that!

Now I have venison in the freezer and memories of another great hunt!

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Congratulations strutndoe!! Great reports everyone!!

First day Sat am I hunted Ross County just south of Chillicothe and my stand placement was one end of 20 acre plot of acorns...everywhere. I placed stand at edge of this going into an acre or two of pines...like a funnel. approximate times here but deer come in eating acorns at 8, 9, 9:30 and 10 to 10:15. I left at 10:30. About 200 yards into the woods my brother on stand saw 2 bucks and 5 doe all going through acorn eating. There are deer all over this farm and did not see one scrape or fresh rub......it's coming though.

Afternoon hunt was in Fairfield County and saw a few doe come into hay field and eat for 15 minutes and left...they were taking corn off a couple of fields over and that is where they headed closer to dark. no scrapes or any signs at this spot.....saw several beds though.
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

OK 10/05/12 sat from about 4 pm till dark, saw a bunch of doe's and some small bucks, and two nice 3.5+ yr old 8's
    was very very warm, 70+ going out and still 65 at dark

10/06/12
    being a saturday, I know I get trespassers, so I went and parked where I know many park to sneak in
    caught the first guy at 3:30
    second guy at 4 pm and last guy at 4;45
    this last guy was from Arizona, said he has been hunting here for last 3 yrs, and thoght my posted signs were for liability reasons, and not to keep people out!
    got to love that crap

so all 3 guys got the warning, second time I then can arrest with a class A charge to it , meaning they then legally cannot own a firearm again
    a much better hit if I catch them then just trespassing here in PA, hell here in PA it ends up costing me more to arrest them then they pay in a fine, crappy state set up on trespassing here for sure

any how, got on stand at 5;15
    seen first deer at 5;45 a small spike, then had deer filter in to the food plots till dark, several small bucks made some agressive(for there size) rubs and scrapes about the field edge, then proceeded to chase doe like it was late Nov.
    crazy rut like action from the littler bucks, the bigger one's out didn't do anything but feed and ignore what was going on about them
    in all counted 26 deer, but as it got dark had more come out but got mixed up so don't know how many in all
    was 58 going in at 5 pm and 41 coming out at dark

and calling for fluries here tomorrow, cool
    no hunting on Sundays here!

StrutnDoe's 10-6-12 Hunts

10-6-12 AM Hunt: My hopes were high this morning, as I headed into the woods. I figured with the rain just coming to an end and the low temp, I should see quite a few deer. Nope..nothing...not even a glimpse of one.

PM Hunt: Got caught up in chores and didn't make it out until around 4:30. Watched 2 doe about 100 yards away but they didn't come my way. At 6:45ish I had a 4 pt and a button buck come in and hang out about 15 yds away from me. I also noticed 2 doe in my back field headed toward the wood line I was in. Then I heard a voice.

The stand I was in tonight is about 20 yds in from my property line. My neighbor came walking into the woods and saw the two young bucks standing there watching him and he yelled at them to run away. He yelled "Yaaaa" Yaaaa" several times. Well, they listened to him and so did the doe that were coming straight towards me. All 4 deer took off running, and snorting, with white tails showing!

The words that I bit my tongue to avoid yelling were things a lady should not say. Suffice to say, I did not get a deer tonight...

10/06/12 (Sat)- PM. Hunted in a ladderstand in a huge maple that sits right in the middle of my overgrown field. Two does came by at 5:25 on their way to a big oak tree to eat acorns. Didn't see any more deer, squirrels were going nuts all evening. Beautiful evening though. I could get used to not seeing one mosquito on an evening hunt on October 6 every year! Back at it tomorrow morning and/or evening.

Thread Information