Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/2013 Daily Hunting Report, Deer Activity, Season Information & Rut Report HERE!

Mike, weather is going to cool down this weekend, the seeking phase will be winding down next week, expect to see some mature bucks next week, if you can, be in your stand! Good luck!!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

OK been lacking
    10/20/12
    evening sit saw just 4 deer 1 doe, 2 yrlings and one small spike

10/21/12 no sunday hunting here in PA
    10/22/12
    just sat watching a big field seeing where there coming out, seen 22 deer all too dark to tell what they were just black blobs
    but did see where they were coming out at
    10/23/12
    ok evening plans went out the window, sat yesterday watching to see where there coming out, wasting a sit in a stand to so so too!
    only to have the farmer show up at 5 pm with his sprayer, and sprayed round up all over his sections he plants with round up didn't get done till just about 6;10 pm, so nothing showed up between him and the smell of the chemical

he just killed 16+ acres of prime clover he had growing for nitrogen for the soil.
    I still have lots of food plots,(good 6+ acres of prime feed and some other 4+ acres of so so stuff) but the deer were favoring his clover up till now
    once its dead it should actually help me for hunting, but that just killed a ton of deer food for teh winter and early spring on me
    But I was hoping he was going to leave it as is till spring planting time
    but the guy hates deer so he will do what ever he can to see them suffer?
    Oh well, try again tomorrow

10/25/12- It was hot, wind was wrong and trails full of crunchy leaves. I was just like get to the stand and see what happens. I stopped to set out a cover scent wick. Made one move an a young doe sprang up so close to me I swear I could of grabed its hoof. Glad no one got it on camera. Had the wrong attitude and not paying attention on the way to the stand. Wont happen again. Heard that cold front might be a day early down here In Ohio. Hope tomorrow I do better.I want my first deer!

10/24/12 evening hunt, well got to farm and it was just so warm, I decided not to even hunt, der have been so nocturnal as is so with 70 degrees, no point in funking up a stand

10/25/12
    evening sit, well was raining off and on all day and still warm, with pockets of fog here and there
    58 degree at 4;30 pm, winds sucked, changing directions at will
    but so overcast and with yesterday being a wash, figured I'd try a sit

got on a stand I haven't hunted out of this yr yet
    at 5;45 I had a couple huge gobblers show up, and was standing up watching them eat some acorns, I was just getting ready to turn around and then I seen it, a darn doe 80 yrds out staring at me, she must have just poked her head out from a pine tree and busted me, first time getting busted this yr, she started snorting like mad, then dropped her head and took off snorting her brains out
    great, but oh well
    then at 6;20 I had a few doe show up and two small bucks running them about like the rut was on
    was just sitting there enjoying the show, when this doe starts blowing again she stood about65 yrds out in the food plot taking turns from eating and snorting, was crazy, she muct have snorted a good 200 times, so much that after a few minutes the rest of the deer simply ignored her
    I had a buck right under me making a scrape while she was snorting and he just didn't care about her noise making
    then dark rolled in, and well after about 20 minutes in the dark with her still doing this
    I wanted to leave , but didn't want to get seen climbing down
    so I dropped my pack first, Nothing, then threw a branch at her, Nothing
    So i would make a snort when ever she did, this turned out to just piss her off, every time I would snort, she would snort back at me, did this for about 10 minutes, now about 7;40, and way past dark
    all the other deer walked off, seeming to not care about us going back and forth
    then I said the hell with it and climbed down
    she never even ran, just watched me leave! was only about 15 yrds from me too! crazy doe!

10/26/12- 0730 on the way to the stand heard some of the loudest bleats sand roars I have ever experienced! Confirmed by the 8 point and 3 does right under my stand! He was on them for sure. No way I was getting in without getting busted so I just watched them for awhile and went back to the cabin!

10/26/12 evening hunt
    still way warm
    62degree's going out at 4 pm
    was very very overcast and looked like if it was colder it would be snowing?
    any way at 6;05 pm, I had one of my target bucks show up, only came out 85 yrs away, came out right past one of my trail am's I have a scent dripper next to full of active scrape scent too
    BUT he ignored it like it wasn't even there!
    so much for that working, he is a at least 4.5 buck too, maybe a 5.5,
    would have expected him to at least look it over
    any how, he came out into my food plot eating soybeans and then he got into a staring contest with the far corner of the field, started at it for a solid 10 minutes without moving a muscle
    then he started grunting real loud, and then a doe showed up, he ran over to her, smelled her over real good then ignored her and went back to eating, then, he walked right past, like 5 ft from a ground blind of mine and went out into a huge 50 acre field with nothing but 6 inch grass mostly standing out like a sore thumb, walking about like not a care in the world, getting farther and farther away from me
    he stayed out in that big open field milling about till just before dark when two doe showed up about a 180 yrds from me, he started chasing them, and one of them ran right to me, almost got my hopes up, but as luck is, he followed the other one, smelled her over and then just back to eating at 110 yrds from me till dark
    then again I was stuck in my stand, didn't want him to se me getting out, so had to wait almost an hr to get out till he went away
    but by then I had a ton of other deer now in the plot?? thats the biggest problem with hunting food plots getting out!
    I was just getting ready to thow my p[ack and got super lucky, a huge tree some where behind me just fell over or?? sounded like a 100 ft tree just dropped from the sky, talk about a huge smash and thud, wow
    but deer ran off and I got away without being seen that I know of

maybe tomorrow with this storm a coming and temp s hopefully dropping!

10/26/12- Fri PM. Got out for just an hour and a half before dark on Friday evening. Sat on the ground away from my stand sites because the wind was out of every direction and unpredictable....W, NW, N, NE...crazy wind before the cold front. Jumped one walking back at dark. The cold weather is coming and I'm hitting it hard the next month, good luck guys.

This is my very first post on the site, and i wanted to introduce myself to everyone (especially ohio hunters lol). I live, and have been hunting in southeastern ohio for about 10 yrs. Hocking county and athens county...the first 3-4 yrs. was more learning than anything (still learning), so by no means am i a professional. I posted here, because i'm sure i'll be sharing a few stories of my own here and there. I look forward to making new friends on the forums. Last week i smoked a mature doe, so i'm on the board in 2012 lol. Got meat in the freezer, so now i'm after the big boy! Well goodluck to everyone, and that special time of the year (PEAK RUT) is almost here!!! (:

10/31/12- AM. Rainy morning but the best one to hunt for a week or more. Had three bucks (6 pt, 7 pt, 7 pt) come past me at 8:30 and 9:45. They were mostly smelling around looking for a hot doe and occasionally eating anything green they could find as well. The biggest 7 pt run off the smaller 6 pt after he made two scrapes. He thought he was the big boy on the block this morning. Saw two does and a button buck later hammering the honey suckle. My rut hunting will be intense over the next three weeks. Can't wait.

10/31 report

Went out this AM for 3 hours before work. I had a deer on the logging road walking in that waited til I got within 30 yards and slowly walked away. (walking out found 2 big scrapes right where I saw this deer standing that were freshly made). From daybreak til 10:00 AM I had deer movement that consisted of 4 different small basket rack bucks of which two were running does around me all morning. Big ones still have not made an appearance -cameras as of this evening still getting them at night. Should be great this weekend! Heading to Ohio on Sunday to hunt all next week in Noble County -can't wait! Good luck.

Thread Information