Athletic Greens
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: butchering

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Here is an old link I found on here someone shared before to a YouTube video. Decent for getting the big parts cut off. For me the backstraps are the first to get taken off and if you use a fillet knife it will make it easier.

Here is the thread on here (BHO) from year's past:

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/...ght=processing
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Thanks for all the great information, links and know how. Will definitely be putting it to use.

I used this video with wonderful results! Kentucky Afield, field to freezer. You can find a few cuts of it on the net here and there, but it's worth the $ to have on hand.

A food sealer/vacuum sealer is VERY nice to have when processing as well. In regard to a meat grinder... I dropped some pretty pennies on an American made hand crank grinder... search for a Choprite. Expensive, but wow!
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

I have the vacuum sealer no grinder yet and it really doesnt look hard but just how long does it take to hang to the freezer to finish butchering it

Since no one else has answered, I'll chime in. When I shoot a deer, I gut it and take it home and hang it using ratchet straps and a steel bar through the legs. Maybe 2hrs later, if I'm lucky, the meat is in a cooler with ice. It sits there for up to 2wks while I work on processing it. It may take me 8hrs to do the entire deer from that point, but I spend a lot of time getting set up and cleaning up too. I'm sure if I tried to do it all in one day it could take 4-6hrs depending on size and cleaning the grinder afterwards.
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

Another good youtube set of videos is from: ikesoutdoors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmvs_YLEno

For one I think that u freaking out about getting ur harvest I know for a fact that they make sure u only get your meat more than u no the place I worked when I was younger freaked out about that u had to be all the way sure. And the sanitary reason if they are licensed then the health depart ment shows up around 15 times a year un expectedly so u bet ur ass that they go by the book or they would have been shut down already. Ya there are some places that are slummy right when u get there but them are the places that u see u don't want ur deer done. The place I take mine is always very clean. Doing it your self In my opinion is easy quartering it out is a breeze iv watched a lot of old timers do it and I feel that they sometimes make it harder than it needs to be. Biggest key so u don't get pissed off half way thru have a very very very sharp knife and a knife sharpener if u have a sharp knife it's a breez

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    The cost is simply the reason why I try to always butcher my own. Well, that and when I put a pack of meat in the freezer it is completely trimmed and ready to go the day I take it out. The two deer my daughter and I got a couple weeks ago I skinned both and had them quartered, the carcasses trimmed completely and in the fridge in about 5 hours. Over the next week I probably put 20 hours of work into them cutting off the bone, trimming all the fat and sinew off, grinding burger and packaging. Used the vacuum sealer and that saved a lot of time. Box of bags @ $22 and I had both done with enough bags to do another deer. VS. $85 per deer with packages I would have to thaw and trim before using. Well worth my money and effort.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

I butcher my own also. The wife and I shoot to many deer to pay and also I like the peace of mind knowing it was cleanly done and its my actual deer meat I am getting back. I have also noticed that when i eat deer someone paid to have done, it usually leaves a weird film on the top of my mouth.
    ive hunted my whole life, the rest I just wasted

Thread Information