Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts?

Thoughts?

So put my first trail cam up on Public Land - put it up at 7:30 ish last Saturday. We went back and checked it noon the next day, with no expectations really. Had no time to really scout.... did find two decent rubs so strapped it to tree and dropped down a mineral lick. Lo and behold, within a couple of hours, this fella was posing. After studying these not so good pics, I'm thinking he's a 9. Age I have no idea, maybe 2-3 range? Doesn't look too old, but the shot from rear to front shows this guys not missed many meals!! So would love to get the thoughts of more experienced folks - Age? and would you shoot this guy or pass? I was just happy to have buck on my cam the first night!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deer1_0102.jpg   deer2.jpg  

thats all up too you i would pass but i hunt private land and see alot of deer there

I'd shoot him......skin him.....and eat him!!!!........and hang the rack on the wall!
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

Probably 2.5, Toke. Good genetics...I see 5 points on his right and am assuming the same on the left. He'll blow up next year if he makes it. Less than 5% of hunters on public land will pass on that buck. So, no one can fault you for taking him. Best of luck, KB
    Mathews Chill-R, Carbon Express, Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Toke2 View Post
    So put my first trail cam up on Public Land - put it up at 7:30 ish last Saturday. We went back and checked it noon the next day, with no expectations really. Had no time to really scout.... did find two decent rubs so strapped it to tree and dropped down a mineral lick. Lo and behold, within a couple of hours, this fella was posing. After studying these not so good pics, I'm thinking he's a 9. Age I have no idea, maybe 2-3 range? Doesn't look too old, but the shot from rear to front shows this guys not missed many meals!! So would love to get the thoughts of more experienced folks - Age? and would you shoot this guy or pass? I was just happy to have buck on my cam the first night!
    hes still young but its about what you think is a shooter . i just don't shoot a buck that i won't spend a few $ to have mounted just do what you feel is rt and don't worry what people think hes still a nice deer but you are on the rt track with the area.good luck to ya this season.. just remember dont pass on a deer on first day that you would shoot on the last day
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by ibppmd View Post
    Probably 2.5, Toke. Good genetics...I see 5 points on his right and am assuming the same on the left. He'll blow up next year if he makes it. Less than 5% of hunters on public land will pass on that buck. So, no one can fault you for taking him. Best of luck, KB
    That's the dilemma - if this were private land, I'd let him go for a year or two, but if I pass there's a better than average chance that someone takes him. I'll just have to call an audible. If I get the chance to see him live, I will make the call. In years past, I've seen some much more mature bucks with much better mass. Hopefully I'll run into this guys Daddy....

well if i hunt public land i would shoot it but hunting private land i would try to let it go for a year or two

well I say 2+ on the age
    as for shooting a buck
    way I see it is if it makes you happy its size, then shoot it
    BUT I hate hearing people say cause its on public lands Better shoot it or some one else will!!
    thats a crappy reason to shoot a deer
    and a HUGE reason why public lands are what they are
    if its not the size you WANT, why shoot it??
    and secondly, with this shoot it or someone else will
    how do you expect better bucks to get there??
    its like folks up here in PA that bitch there are no deer then shoot the deer they see, and still complain about there being no deer

if you feel this way STOP being part of the problem, and let them grow to the size you want
    if it means eating a tag, so be it
    want meat, shoot a doe!
    there will never be BIG bucks if everyone has this idea!! private or public lands, its still YOU doing the shooting! OR NOT!!
    and the saying goes, if you want a big buck and you shoot a small one, , never going to happen that way!

Toke,

These guys all have good points and bad ones. I agree that the 'shoot it or someone else will" is probably not the best way to decide.. My advice, it's pretty early, take your time, see what's out there, then make your call. You are the one that will make that decision and you will be the one who either lays down at night either happy or thinking you should have waited. There is always going to be a buck that's bigger than the one you kill. So take your time, make sure it's what YOU want. Patience is key man!

Quote Originally Posted by Toke2 View Post
    Heres what I'll say.
    Age I'd say your right on 2-3.
    score 120is

should you shoot or not is all up to you.Cant worry about what others would do.
    I hunt public land and have for years. The one thing you cant think about is if I dont shoot him someone else will. I only have 3 bucks to my credit and I have never thought dang I should have let that guy walk. I'm not a great hunter or trophy hunter by any set of standards, but I have set goals and made my mind up as to what I think a shooter is. I can say I have let more bucks walk than I've killed and don't regret any of it. I have learned that tag soup tastes a little better with salt and pepper..lol
    What I'm saying is your the hunter you decide what you will or will not shoot.

Thread Information