Athletic Greens
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts?

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Along the same lines as others above, I would say it's no more than a 2 1/2 year old though. Totally up to you on shooting him or not. One question for you.....have you ever shot one with a bow as big as him?? That is how I would judge whether I would shoot him or not, public or private.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

what i meant by i would not shoot him on private land is that where i hunt the land owner will not let you shoot anything under 130 not that i would not shoot it. it is i cant on the private land i hunt if it were my land i probally would have to see it in person to decide

Great feedback... As I mentioned, if I'm lucky enough to see him, I will judge at that point. I am still looking for my FIRST buck, so that will play into my decision more so than the public/private land. I do appreciate however, the thoughts about not shooting every deer and then complaining about the lack of them. In the area I hunt, the numbers are good... but I'd like it stay that way. Hopefully, I see the monster that crashed in behind me two years ago ( over my shooting shoulder) - made eye contact when I turned my head - snorted at me - and he was gone before I could even lift my weapon. Seeing him would make the decision very easy.

That's how you look at it toke (judge )each deer and make a game day decision do I want him or not when you hunting trophy deer you will have to pass on a few that are nice. it might take all season to find him then agin you might not see another that's why the call it hunting good luck to ya.
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Toke2 View Post
    Great feedback... As I mentioned, if I'm lucky enough to see him, I will judge at that point. I am still looking for my FIRST buck, so that will play into my decision more so than the public/private land. I do appreciate however, the thoughts about not shooting every deer and then complaining about the lack of them. In the area I hunt, the numbers are good... but I'd like it stay that way. Hopefully, I see the monster that crashed in behind me two years ago ( over my shooting shoulder) - made eye contact when I turned my head - snorted at me - and he was gone before I could even lift my weapon. Seeing him would make the decision very easy.
    With that said. Shoot what ever you want. Good luck.. hope you put one on the ground

definitely a 2.5yr old buck prolly around the 115" range, if it were me i would let him go another year or two, the only problem with that is you hunt public land so chances of someone letting him walk during gun season is extremely low, but in the end if your happy with him then go for it if not hold out for something bigger and hopefully he makes it through the season
    MARINE CORPS 2111

I'd shoot him, I learned my lesson last year in gun season. Saw a monster of a ten in bow season and was hunting him hard and only had one chance at him but unfortunately he never presented a shot. Anyways I had a chance at a nice 9 but nowhere near the size on the 10 i saw and I passed on him at 5 yards, and I regret it ever since, never saw him again and went without a buck last year. Any whitetail buck taken with a bow is a great accomplishment, however I do draw the line at shooting small 6 points, I'll let them grow or let the kids shoot em.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well I say 2+ on the age
    as for shooting a buck
    way I see it is if it makes you happy its size, then shoot it
    BUT I hate hearing people say cause its on public lands Better shoot it or some one else will!!
    thats a crappy reason to shoot a deer
    and a HUGE reason why public lands are what they are
    if its not the size you WANT, why shoot it??
    and secondly, with this shoot it or someone else will
    how do you expect better bucks to get there??
    its like folks up here in PA that bitch there are no deer then shoot the deer they see, and still complain about there being no deer

if you feel this way STOP being part of the problem, and let them grow to the size you want
    if it means eating a tag, so be it
    want meat, shoot a doe!
    there will never be BIG bucks if everyone has this idea!! private or public lands, its still YOU doing the shooting! OR NOT!!
    and the saying goes, if you want a big buck and you shoot a small one, , never going to happen that way!
    WOW i could not have said it any better!!!!!!

if hes not the size you want, why shoot it.......perfect words......

my 2 cents....if you shoot him, would you be happy with him or would you think about how you could have shot better?....thats the real question, if shooting him makes you happy and plants a big ole smile on your face for the rest of the season, then take him.... if shooting him is gonna make you regret taking him...pass and let someone else you would be thrilled to take such an animal

myself, i would be crapping my pants happy to take him, i know there are bigger bucks out there, but any chance to take a buck over year and half to me is special.....

i would say 2 1/2 years 120ish....he is a 9 for sure

Nice big bodied deer. Id give the rack another year and take my chances. Maybe there are nicer ones about!

I commend you on your patience if you haven't taken any bucks yet.I don't know your age but my first buck was certainly an exciting experience.Patience is something that normally takes a few years (and kills) to learn.You will get alot of opinions on here,sort them out,but its your decision what buck it worthy of its taking.Good luck!

Thread Information