Thread: Playing the wind

Playing the wind

So, I just checked out the wind predictions for opening morning, and am a lil confused on what to do. Friday night, they're calling for SE winds which is perfect for my #1 morning stand, but for Saturday day, they're calling for N winds. N winds are the worst wind to hunt in this stand for a morning hunt. So, should I base my hunt off of predicted Saturday winds, or Friday night winds? Just not sure when they are expecting the winds to change over to N winds.

Stay home and knit a scarf... LOL

Seriously... hunt it .. the wind swirls and shifts directions every ten seconds anyway.. be clean.. super scent free.. it's about all you can do

I would wait until later in the week to check it will change 100 times

I'm the odd man , I hunt some stands not caring which way the wind blows, and have so for 10+ yrs and have had big bucks come in from down wind up wind and every which way winds all the time! and its not unusual for me to have 10-15 deer about me in every direction and not be on edge or alert with winds blowing all over!
    I do lots of best I can scent prevention, but I hunt when I can, where I want, when I want to!
    over the yrs I have done very well doing so too
    so??? wind?? maybe I'd do better playing it, but happy as I do now so??
    just my 2 cents!

I usually just smoke up and go, but this year Im after a certain deer. Not sure if he went nocturnal this week or not, but as of last week he was still coming in at daylight, and I really dont want to mess it up. But am afraid if I dont hunt, it will just give him another day to change his pattern. Would love to post a pic, but cant because of the caliber of deer he is, and certain people(lurkers) that know the places I hunt, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    I'm the odd man , I hunt some stands not caring which way the wind blows, and have so for 10+ yrs and have had big bucks come in from down wind up wind and every which way winds all the time! and its not unusual for me to have 10-15 deer about me in every direction and not be on edge or alert with winds blowing all over!
    I do lots of best I can scent prevention, but I hunt when I can, where I want, when I want to!
    over the yrs I have done very well doing so too
    so??? wind?? maybe I'd do better playing it, but happy as I do now so??
    just my 2 cents!

I like your way of thinking.

Thread Information