Athletic Greens
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Bucks

No Bucks

I have two trail cameras that I have set up and moved around all summer. All the work I have done has yielded a picture of one forkhorn buck and several does. Should I read anything into this? I have what I believe to be a real good stand position on a ridge and am counting on bucks chasing does to get a shot. I know there are bucks around. I also have a climber which will allow me to move around if necessary. Is my plan headed for failure?
    My Church is the woodlands and waterways, in them I have never felt closer to God.

Genesis 27:3

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    I wouldn't be overly concerned. There are many places that deer use very little in the summer that can have lots of buck traffic from mid to late October through the month of November. Your theory of the bucks chasing on the ridge is probably a sound one. If not much is happenning by the first week of Nov. I'd formulate a new plan.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    A lot of guys are having this problem right now and most if not all are saying it's because of acorns dropping. Have to believe it myself as when I was down a week ago the acorns were falling and trail cam pics were minimal, especially bucks.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Thank you for the replies. Maybe I am a dreamer but I have a good "gut feeling" about this season. The power of positive thinking!
    My Church is the woodlands and waterways, in them I have never felt closer to God.

Genesis 27:3

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

well its not easy to get bucks some times, I swear some have radar for trail cam's !! lol

I have bucks I see with my eye's all yr at my farm, they will be out in groups, alone in almost same sections/corners of the farm
    and i will move trail cams to them area's trying to get pictures of a certian buck
    and to date I have two or 3 bucks now for 2-3 yrs I am yet to get a single picture of, I will get pic's of almost every other deer that hangs with them yet never one of certian bucks, even in winter over feeders, spring over feeders, or food plots
    they just magically avoid my cameras it seems
    and every yr hunting I see lots of bucks i never got a pic of or seen prior to hunting season, yet will see them many many times all hunting season long

so I never base pictures on ONLY what bucks are in my area, too many places for a deer to walk, would need thousands of camera's to cover it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Holla View Post
    A lot of guys are having this problem right now and most if not all are saying it's because of acorns dropping. Have to believe it myself as when I was down a week ago the acorns were falling and trail cam pics were minimal, especially bucks.
    Pretty much sums up here whats going on. But the acorns seem like they're hit or miss here, not like they usually are. We either get a bumper crop, or none.
    Buckstrike138-I love hunting ridge tops during the rut, especially if there are does using it. Also, dont play too much into the buck sign there is minimal. Early season may be a lil slow, but I bet once their patterns change outta their summer pattern, they will be using that ridge, as long as there is a reason for them to use it.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Meigs County last weekend had black and red oaks dropping pretty well w/ cuttings seemingly everywhere. White oaks were harder to find but the one's I did were nice full sized acorns, just not sure on the volume of those.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Lots of red and white oak acorns here in Jackson County and they are falling heavy right now. They are on the small side though. The persimmon crop this year is great though.
    "...the deepest, most permanent features of all great moments outside are the names, faces, descriptions, and emotions. The antlers on the wall...well, they're just bones affixed to boards. But what they represent, however, is flesh and blood - fathers and sons, friends spending time with friends and the the seasons of life when the people we love were still with us. These old antlers on the wall...well, take a seat, my friend, and I'll tell you all about them." -Rev. Zeke Pipher

Quote Originally Posted by Buckstrike138 View Post
    I have two trail cameras that I have set up and moved around all summer. All the work I have done has yielded a picture of one forkhorn buck and several does. Should I read anything into this? I have what I believe to be a real good stand position on a ridge and am counting on bucks chasing does to get a shot. I know there are bucks around. I also have a climber which will allow me to move around if necessary. Is my plan headed for failure?
    If it is you won't be alone in your failure. I've seen acouple small 8's that need a few more years under their belts and that's it except for does. Where there's does there will be bucks. I have food cover and does...it's just a matter of time.

Your preachin to the choir. Only does and small bucks on my cams. Hunting new property tho.

Thread Information