Athletic Greens
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 Rut Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by whodey1966 View Post
    I Have been Bow Hunting since the early 90s and the last week of October through the first week of November has always been my best Week!
    I am going to have to concur with this statement....I have been sticking deer since the early 80's and the last week of October things really start picking up for me and they go into THanksgiving with it winding down about the time my belly is full of turkey and stuffing......

To the fella that started this thread....one main question I have to ask is this...are you hunting public or private land? and if your hunting private land, is anyone else hunting it also? I ask because of this...if your land is hunted by more than just you, then I would take my days off during the week to maximize your 4 days that you can hunt....if you have hunting pressure from outside of your group then I like to hunt the week, it usually is less crowded and the pressure from surrounding land is not as bad......Now if your hunting private land and you pretty much hunt it alone then it dont much matter when you go out, but if I was trying to take advantage of having only 4 days away from work then those 4 days would not include the weekend if there was any type of pressure around me.....if there is, then use the weekend for those last few days and try to grab a buck that has been chased from his area bu other hunters, sometimes getting lucky is not such a bad thing.....but i would not want to count on that, thats why I would hunt tuesday thru friday then use the weekend as a backup.....just my opinion and I am in no way trying to tell another hunter how to use his vacation time....just giving you a theory I use from time to time when I am hunting public land.

Its difficult when you have to select a week to take off and hunt during the rut because the week you pick, even if it is the first week of November for example, might have temperatures in the mid 70's all week or it might rain every day. So the closer to late October you can wait to select the week the better because you can at least look at the long term weather forecasts. It seems to me that every year there is one really good week when everything works together (rut, weather, moon) but you gotta be hunting during that week. It could be the last week of October (used to be good for me but not so much the last few years) or the first three weeks of November. This is why I just take off most of those four weeks!
    "...the deepest, most permanent features of all great moments outside are the names, faces, descriptions, and emotions. The antlers on the wall...well, they're just bones affixed to boards. But what they represent, however, is flesh and blood - fathers and sons, friends spending time with friends and the the seasons of life when the people we love were still with us. These old antlers on the wall...well, take a seat, my friend, and I'll tell you all about them." -Rev. Zeke Pipher

First, the first of the month isn't always the full moon. And even if it were, "cloud cover" wouldn't have any effect on deer movement. They can still see....

That being said, you might as well flip a coin IMO. I have killed 4 bucks between 130 and 155 between November 8-11 and only one before that (10/31). My favorite seems to be around November 10...but you're right, you risk lockdown which seems to be worse than the October lull.

I'd probably go with the later dates but I don't think you can really go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by buckscout View Post
    To the fella that started this thread....one main question I have to ask is this...are you hunting public or private land? and if your hunting private land, is anyone else hunting it also?
    I'll be hunting private land that others hunt and I'm not sure if I'll see them during the week or not. That's why I wanted to extend my weekend, 2 days before and 2 days after a Saturday and Sunday. Hoping I would be the only one in the woods during the week days.

But, now I've decided to go ahead and take the entire week of 11/5 off....so I'm pumped now...9 straight days in the woods!!
    2010 Hoyt Maxxis 31 29" Draw | 65# Draw Weight
    Lotus 3-Pin | QAD Ultra-Rest PRO HD | Fuse 8" Stabalizer | Fuse Satori 5 Arrow Quiver | G5 Peep | TruBall Release | Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595 | G5 T3 100gr.

Thread Information