Thread: Scouting trip

Scouting trip

Went down to the public land I hunt for a quick scouting walk. I normally rely on my scouting from the months of March and April and dont go back in the woods untill opening day. It's a good thing I did. There are so many trees down tops snapped off. had to change my route several times. If I would have waited for opening day I would have never made it to that location before sun-rise. I would have been very upset. lol

Some things I noticed was acorns were few and very small some trees had none at all. I did walk around a few ponds to see if I would find some dead deer from EHD and found none at all. The small streams that run through there are mostly dry but a few holes.

The highlite of the day was the shed I found. To my surprise no chew marks at on it. It's not big at all but it did have 6 points. For such a small rack it has some cool junk around the base. I wouldn't mind seeing this guy this fall

Finding that shed has to be extra motivation to hunt that peice of property this year. Best of luck.
    Mathews Chill-R, Carbon Express, Rage

You make a great point. A lot can change in the woods if you only do your scouting in the spring.
    Good luck this season!

Thread Information