Thread: crop cutting

crop cutting

information on crop harvest, has any cutting of soy bean or corn harvest started anywhere around your areas yet, was wondering when it starts happening in different areas, last year crops were still standing late october, has any started in coshocton county does anyone know ? Thanks for your help.

As of last weekend they haven't started in Ashtabula. That's where we hunt. The soy beans should start soon. The corn is tricky. Depends what it's used for. If its just for feed it could be there a while still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mightymet thanks for your info, I am coming in from Vermont the end of October the 23rd to the 31st so was hoping crops would be pretty much harvested by this time.

I will second that, beans will not start to get cut here till about last week in sept, and corn normally doesn't start till about second week of oct,
    But to be honest on the corn it will depend on a lot of things , like how much moisture is in it , as they measure it and harvest it once it gets to a certian point, other wise they have to spend the $$ to dry it, and most farmers prefer not to have to spend extra $$ if they can get away with letting it just stand longer and dry they way, but they also have a time scale when customers want some, thus why they will cut even if not dry enough and then dry to be able to sell

and then, pending use of corn(many state lands will do this)
    they can leave corn standing till next yr and harvest it, all depends on what its being used for
    by the time you plan to be in Ohio, I would expect about 70% of crops to be harvested unless it gets very wt from here on out, lots of rains, as many bean farmers are still hoping to get some growth before they get hit with frosts to start then drying,
    BUt think of it this way, NO standing crops, helps get deer out of them, but having standing crops helps patteren deer, once there cut, deer change there patterens and can even move off lands to find still standing crops farther away
    so its a double edge sword, to have/not have crops

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    This will likely be an odd year with the drought so depending on your area they may start much earlier or the usual time. Nothing cut down Meigs County as of last weekend that I saw.

With the drought this year we've had a lot more farmers selling their corn for silage so there have been quite a few corn fields taken off in our are NW Ohio as far as beans I have seen one field getting cut with many more coming in the next two weeks. The corn will be about another 3-4 weeks yet as my best guess. I know it's going to be a weird year in my area.

i saw one field in morrow county of beans being harvested and in shelby ohio not far from sportsmans den another of beans

Thread Information