Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to approach land owners?

There is a property 2 farms away from my family's farm. This farm always has a large ag field that is full of the deer that bed and live mostly on our farm. I have had great success on our family farm but I love early season hunting and since our family farm isn't farmed anymore, those ag fields are really hot spots in the early season. This makes the 4th year I have asked these people to hunt. The first year I was told no but we made alot of small talk and had great conversation. The second year it was the same thing. The third year we are now on first name basis and I get permission to hang trail cams on the property. The fourth year, which is now I show them the nice pictures I have and I am told I will probably be allowed to hunt in the late season with my bow. I usually have my 6 deer by then but if I don't you'd better believe I will take the opportunity to take in a few hunts on the property. I'm really hoping by next year my foot will be in the door enough that they will say yes to all season. Also, the fields will have beans again next year. When there are soybeans in those fields it is like deer heaven there. I say go to them in person, be kind, courteous, make small talk, and be persistent if they say no the first time. Also, if they say no to hunting ask if you could hang a couple trail cams on the property. These land owners really loved seeing the pics of the deer on their property. Good luck and hopefully you will get permission.

Good job on the properties you got permission on. The other ones just keep at it and you never know what may happen.

Quote Originally Posted by teej89 View Post
    thanks for all your help guys! I'm hunting an area in state lands that peninsula's into private property and talked to all 4 land owners that line the area, 3/4 being able to track a hit deer on their land and 2/4 to hunt their land. All pretty good guys tho, the one even drove me around on his property.
    Thats great, good job and good luck.

Thread Information