Thread: How to keep a trophy buck around

Hybrid View

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    If you look at your last set of photos he knows the camera is there. In the last photo it looks like he was moving in to investigate its presence. Hope this didn't spook him away.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

I guess that could be true.. I've had my camera up for over a month and I have multiple photos of him up close looking at the camera. All I can think of is that I was feeding him frequent enough. He only showed up when there was food. I have been mixing in that acorn rage stuff in with my corn. Buck bomb makes an acorn rage scent. I'm thinking about putting more corn out the Wednesday before opening day and setting off that can... Not sure though..

I have the same issues with bucks at my place. Seems they are around all summer but disappears as September rolls around. The property to the south of mine gets squirrel hunted pretty hard. I think the sound of shotguns moves by mature bucks away for a while. Seems around mid October they begin to filter back in. But, this filtering may be due to the onset of the rut at that time also. They keep us guessing which keeps the game interesting.

Will making a mock scrape work you think?

I don't think I would do that. The more you disturb the area the more wary he will become. I'd just hunt the area ONLY with the correct wind. Hopefully sooner or later he shows for you. These deer we see all summer don't up and move miles away in my opinion. They are in the same area we just need to be there at the right time. I hunt by the odds. By that I mean I am on stand as much as possible in hopes that I am there when the buck I am pursuing shows up. Some seasons it works some it doesn't. But, the more often I am there I shift the odds more in my favor.

Thread Information