Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to keep a trophy buck around

How to keep a trophy buck around

I've had a big buck show up on my trail cam 3 nights in a row between the hours of 9:30pm - 6:30am. Bow season is still a ways out here in Ohio so is there anything that I should or should not do to keep this brut around? Thanks!

well this time of yr food is the real key to keeping them on your lands( come closer to the rut and it will switch to where there are doe)
    and after food its going to be cover and security or honestly need all 3 in a close area for ideal set ups! if you ask me!
    and the less pressure you put in his area the better, most bigger bucks like privacy if you ask me!, and many seem to live away from the rest of the local herds too!

But sadly this is a question I have been trying to answer for yrs at my place as well, as I really don't have the cover, and just cannot seems to make any that they like or will last

and as such deer just live off property and come to eat, as I am the major food source in the area
    but sadly, once a little pressure starts
    and that typically starts here once they shed there velvet about 2 weeks+ before the hunting season starts(with poaching)
    most of the deer thus know they can just show up at nite in the crops/food plots and be gone before light making nocturnal deer at my place

if you figure out a better way to keep a BIG buck, let us all know, sure more than me would love to know how

best answer I could tell you is to buy lots of land, a good 500+ acres should be enough to hold deer all yr if managed right
    I have about 200, and its just not enough here!, here deer travel a few miles every day and think nothing of it

Very little pressure don't hunt him until the conditions are write
    you wont killem siting on the couch

I understand the low pressure thought. The only down side is that the property owner routinely cuts firewood near my stand. Last year I shot a 8 point shortly after the property owner left the area. I'm going to continue to put corn down once a week and check my camera at the same time. My guess is that this buck is at least a 150-160 class deer. My plan is to hunt him early in the bow season before the rut begins. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Should I hunt him in the morning or evening or does it matter? Thank you all for your advice!

How about a picture of the buck? We all love to see a monster deer.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Don't bugger him!! A lot can change in the next several weeks when it comes to his habitat and the more pressure you or anyone else puts on him will surely send him packing.

Only hunt him when the wind is in your favor
    you wont killem siting on the couch

deer pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0033.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	8805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0056.jpg 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	8806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0116.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	8807

Thanks for all your advice, I have learned a lot. Good luck to you all!

I might even think of taking the camera out. You know he is there. Make a food run out now and the one the week before season. Pack a lunch, get to your stand real early, hit a cup of coffee and sit in for the long run. I would for sure leave the area as quit as possible til opening morning. As far as keeping deer around mrbb is 100% correct, you need a ton of land, load of money for plots, airplane to track, and a bank account that allows you to do this year round. Patients and time in the woods paying attention to the small things will get you a shot at him. Good luck.

Thread Information