Thread: OHIO Deer found with EHD

OHIO Deer found with EHD

BAD NEWS - Ohio has EHD
    If no one didn't know. Ohio has been hit by EHD.. Everyone remembers the tons of deer dropping like flys around salk fork and not once was it publicized back in 2007.

Well i just read a article from the News Herald that a DEER FARM in Southwestern Ohio had a bunch of deer infected with it..
    http://www.archerywire.com/releases/267143/

Everyone knows Jeff, hes been around a long time writing for Ohio. I think we need to shit cam these damn DEER FARMING>>> i think they are the main cause for diseases in most native animals... JMTC

So if you go to the Ohio DNr site and read what they say, its very tricky and evasive wording.
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild...0/Default.aspx

WE ALL NEED TO FIND OUT IF ITS SAFE TO EAT THIS MEAT!!!

Also it has been confirmed it is all over IA, MO, MI, and IN. so that is not good news...

I do know there is certainly a big difference between CWD and EHD...

BUT

when the Ohio DNR says:

There appears to be no risk associated with direct exposure to the virus or in consuming a deer that has been infected with the virus.

That TELLS ME THEY DO NOT KNOW...
    There appears to be no risk associated with direct exposure to the virus or in consuming a deer that has been infected with the virus.
    Semper Fi, Matthew

Bows: TENPOINT Stealth XLT & Horton XS. Rifles: (1) Savage Custom 116FL 300 Win.Mag w/ Harrell's MB, SGS Stock. Action Trued-Timed w/Comp.Lug and Comp SSS Trigger (12oz.). KW’s Extended Mag, 30”Brux Varmint Barrel (.930”), KF 40MOA base, Seekin Steel Rings, NightForce 5-22x50 w/NPR1. (2) Savage Custom Model12 .243 OEM VLP Laminate Stock, Action Trued, OEM DBM w/DE mag box, 30"Brux Varmint Barrel (.930"),Accu-trigger 1.5#, KF 20MOA base, Burris rings, Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Mil-Dot

The mode of transmission of EHD in nature is via a Culicoides biting fly or midge. Culicoides variipennis is the most commonly incriminated vector in North America. A common observation in outbreaks involving large numbers of deer - as in Michigan, New Jersey and Alberta - is that they are single epizootics which do not recur. Die-offs involving small numbers of deer - as experienced in South Dakota and Nebraska - occur almost annually, and the disease appears to be enzootic in these areas. All documented outbreaks of EHD have occurred during late summer and early fall (August-October) and have ceased abruptly with the onset of frost.

Experimentally, the disease can be transmitted to susceptible deer by the inoculation of virus-laden material from infected deer by subcutaneous, intramuscular, intravenous or oral routes.

Clinical Signs

Clinical signs of EHD and bluetongue are very similar.

White-tailed deer develop signs of illness about 7 days after exposure. A constant characteristic of the disease is its sudden onset. Deer initially lose their appetite and fear of man, grow progressively weaker, often salivate excessively, develop a rapid pulse and respiration rate, and fever (affected animals frequent bodies of water to lie in to reduce their body temperature) and finally become unconscious. Hemorrhage and lack of oxygen in the blood results in a blue appearance of the oral mucosa, hence the name 'bluetongue'. Eight to 36 hours following the onset of observable signs, deer pass into a shock-like state, become prostrate and die.
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Semper Fidelis

Famous last words "Hey guys, watch this!!!"

Life is tough. Its even tougher if your stupid.

sooo... we dont need to worry about it too much then.? alot of ten dollar words there. lol

From what I gather if the deer looks healthy, I'm gonna eat it.. gotta die of something I guess.

ehd happens just about everywhere theres deer during a drought year. this year it was goign to happen. some deer survive it. i have been told by my instructors when i was in college that you can look at the hoof of the deer and if there above average ridges in the hoof the deer has survived it.

as far as eating a sick deer or any other animal. NEVER. i have never shot a sick deer but i have shot waterfowl with rice breast and you couldnt pay me to eat it even tho some researcher deems it safe to eat. no thanks. ill pass. if a sick deer walks under me ill sit back down and let nature do its thing unless its showing signs of CWD then i will burn the tag and get the animal to the division or to USDA ASAP. usually by bow season you wont see EHD deer walking around due to the fall rains and the fresh supply of water they find. this disease hits deer quick. usually once they get sick the stay at water and bed down then die.
    2011 Red Head Blackout By Diamond
    Red Head Kryptik 5 pin dove tail sight
    QAD HD Pro drop away
    100grn. Super Sonic
    Red Head Carbon Maxx2 arrows

I do things my way. If you want them done your way, YOU DO IT!

great info guys, one more thing, its takes a hard frost to kill the flies ........so when will that be, HOT TIL THE END OF OCT, they say

Not attemping to scare but when the DNR says:

That tells me they DON"T know... if they did they would say hey eat up be happy.... they are covering their ass..
    Semper Fi, Matthew

Bows: TENPOINT Stealth XLT & Horton XS. Rifles: (1) Savage Custom 116FL 300 Win.Mag w/ Harrell's MB, SGS Stock. Action Trued-Timed w/Comp.Lug and Comp SSS Trigger (12oz.). KW’s Extended Mag, 30”Brux Varmint Barrel (.930”), KF 40MOA base, Seekin Steel Rings, NightForce 5-22x50 w/NPR1. (2) Savage Custom Model12 .243 OEM VLP Laminate Stock, Action Trued, OEM DBM w/DE mag box, 30"Brux Varmint Barrel (.930"),Accu-trigger 1.5#, KF 20MOA base, Burris rings, Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Mil-Dot

Side Note:

I think we need to post something here for people to start tracking where they are seeing sick and/or dead deer.. city and county and 3 of deer..
    Semper Fi, Matthew

Thread Information