Good article in the Sept. N.A. WhiteTail magazine about acorns. I am doing my homework on Acorns.... as I hunt public land and don't have the luxury of a food plot. In fact, according to the writer, he said many Deer who do frequent plots - abandon them for Acorns during the early hunting season - giving food plot hunters fits ( Can anyone confirm). Acorns are crucial to their diet, and when they start to fall it can change their patterns abruptly. White oaks are sweeter and more reliable ( drop acorns every year), whereas Red Oaks are more bitter and not as preferred by deer. Red Oaks often only drop acorns every other year the author said - but that they are much more nutritious for the deer - so they do eat them as well. Also said that you can tell if acorns are "ripe" by how easily the caps come off the nut. When the caps come off easily - this is when the deer will be in acorn mode. Green are not ready yet - but they will still eat them. Just thought I'd share some of the key points from the article.... I am definitely going to pay much more attention this year to the OAKs and plan accordingly since I have no plots to work. I suspect I will see the typical signs (droppings tracks) under these Oaks. Good topic!