Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drought Question?????

Good article in the Sept. N.A. WhiteTail magazine about acorns. I am doing my homework on Acorns.... as I hunt public land and don't have the luxury of a food plot. In fact, according to the writer, he said many Deer who do frequent plots - abandon them for Acorns during the early hunting season - giving food plot hunters fits ( Can anyone confirm). Acorns are crucial to their diet, and when they start to fall it can change their patterns abruptly. White oaks are sweeter and more reliable ( drop acorns every year), whereas Red Oaks are more bitter and not as preferred by deer. Red Oaks often only drop acorns every other year the author said - but that they are much more nutritious for the deer - so they do eat them as well. Also said that you can tell if acorns are "ripe" by how easily the caps come off the nut. When the caps come off easily - this is when the deer will be in acorn mode. Green are not ready yet - but they will still eat them. Just thought I'd share some of the key points from the article.... I am definitely going to pay much more attention this year to the OAKs and plan accordingly since I have no plots to work. I suspect I will see the typical signs (droppings tracks) under these Oaks. Good topic!

well I am a food plot hunter in my home state, BUT I have hunted in many states including Ohio, and OHIO public lands have lots of state installed food plots, so you can still hunt food plots on public lands

as for deer leavingfood plots to eat acorns, well NO and YES, here at my place deer feed in the food plots all yr no matter what other crops is on the ground, but acorns will change the timing some what, as deer live mostly off my property, and when there is NO acorns they pretty much come straight from bedding cover(off my lands) and walk real fast straight to the food plots with few if any stops
    when there are acorns, they stop and feed on the way, making many deer not make it to the plots till after shooting hrs, but they always still feed on the plots, just many times at night
    thats the bigger problems with plots, deer know there there can come at any hr fill up and leave, and many prefer to feed at night being so open, making acorns more attractive
    I think when there about, as there is cover in the woods for them to eat, in a safer feeling
    with the cover about, and I am sure a change in diet is a welcome thing for them as well

but food plots will always pull deer, like candy to a kid!

I have noticed that the apples are ripe early and I believe the corn and beans are going to be off early... It could be a long winter for the deer herd in terms of feeding. By late season.. they will be hungry. Especially if we have a rough winter.

Haven't been down to check the acorns. Heading down this weekend for a quick walk. I'll take a look at the. One thing I have noticed is the leaves are falling and quickly where I live

Thread Information