Athletic Greens
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: age this deer ??

  1. #1

    age this deer ??

    i need help guessing the age of this deer i know he is young i am just having a debate with my buddies thanks ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 165898_363535350367621_1518884185_n.jpg   251926_363534963700993_100001334782634_924649_669400857_n (1).jpg  

  2. #2
    Senior Member mrbb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    northeast PA
    Posts
    5,920
    well a guess is 2.5 +

    but to be honest you need to get a beter view of the face and this time of yr body weights can be way off to use the body a lot on age, in my eye's


    all depends on how they came through winter


    so, at 2.5 + is just a wide guess off these pic's

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well a guess is 2.5 +

    but to be honest you need to get a beter view of the face and this time of yr body weights can be way off to use the body a lot on age, in my eye's



    all depends on how they came through winter


    so, at 2.5 + is just a wide guess off these pic's
    I agree, I personally dont think there is a chance in hell that buck is older then 2.5. I would say maybe even a good genetic 1.5 year old.

  4. #4
    this buck that was harvested was aged at 3.5. Scored 146, there is a huge jump in body size and antler size between 2.5 and 3.5. There is even a larger jump in the later ages untill about 6 on most wild deer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0373.jpg  

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by at1010 View Post
    I agree, I personally dont think there is a chance in hell that buck is older then 2.5. I would say maybe even a good genetic 1.5 year old.

    that's what i was saying to my buddy that he is probably a good 1.5 year old ...the genetics are great around this area and the minerals and food plots are helping too ....thanks guys

  6. #6
    Senior Member mrbb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    northeast PA
    Posts
    5,920
    well again, I am not saying what age here, I was saying that at this time of yr, even a bigger older deer might look OFF due to having a bad winter, over doing a rut or the likes, and to really tell a age, you need to see more of the face and better pic's of the body

    I would not say this is a 1.5 yr old buck at all, I will say 2.5 and maybe older

    at 1.5, unless on and under great control, they just to me don't fill in body bone wise to this deers size based on these pic's

    but then again, 1.35 yr old bucks at my place can be super small so, I am used to seeing that type of deer/body at 1.5 here

    ????

  7. #7
    ROSS COUNTY OHIO

  8. #8
    You guys all know that at this time of year, they're age would be a whole number, not half years. You age them at half years in the fall, when they are 5/6 months older than they are now.
    Don't ever let the truth get in the way, of a good story

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    You guys all know that at this time of year, they're age would be a whole number, not half years. You age them at half years in the fall, when they are 5/6 months older than they are now.
    very true fact ....

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    You guys all know that at this time of year, they're age would be a whole number, not half years. You age them at half years in the fall, when they are 5/6 months older than they are now.
    I was aging on what I am expecting that buck to look like in the fall. I am assuming that is when he will be deciding when to put an arrow through it or not.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •