Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW WOODS TRAIL.

NEW WOODS TRAIL.

so i have been hunting this woods for years.and the land owner cut a trail thru the woods thru the whole woods do yall think its goin to take a toll on the deer in any way it has a good amount of deer in it just trying to get some input ?

Will probably change their patterns, but usually a "trail" is a good thing to have. You dont say how big this trai is, or was it cut in with a dozer? Just a hand cut access trail? Deer use human made trails for the same reason we do. Its easy to get around. Might help your stand access too. Typically there is no downfall to a trail provided it is not the width of a hiway nor sees a lot of traffic (motor or foot). If it was cut in go out and throw some clover seed on it while its still dirt.

deer adjust pertty fast to changes
    most stay where they always have, some however will pick up and relocate maybe off the lands

deer like cut paths, so they might do you more good than bad, even more so come gun season when you can have longer shooting lanes now

did he just cut them or bulldozed them

if he bulldozed the, now is a great time to make food plots out of some spots on them, lime seed and pray for rain, and you will have made hot spots to hunt over!

in the yurs to come new broswe will grow in them again making good fed for the critters, thus good hunting too

I agree with everything said. New trails are great. One place I hunt is a tangled maze of old oil access two track trails. The deer use them and alot. I hunt intersections of these trails and I have had great success. Use the trail to your advantage.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

On one of the properties I hunt the land owner bulldozed a trail to an oil pump in the woods and runs almost the entire length of the block of woods. essentially cutting it in half... this area has certainly been more productive since the addition of the trail. about 4 years ago I planted about 80 percent of the trail with a clover mix type food plot seed blend. now this area has pretty much reverted to natural plants and seems to be just as attractive to deer as when it was when the food plot seed was growing... my thinking on this is that the area is highly agricultural so the deer have little need for another food source and more of a need for easy travel between food sources and a staging area to browse on their way to a corn, soybean, or hay field. the trail runs east to west and the majority of the deer on this property tend to move north and south through the block of woods. but, rarely do deer cross over the trail without moving up and down it (east and west) and browsing a bit... this has proved to be a great stand site over the years! so I say it's a good thing!

In fact this past year I was able to kill a buck that was cruising north to south on the property during the rut by grunting to him as he crossed the trail. he was at about 65 or 70 yards from me when i grunted to him. he came on a string walking stiff legged looking down the trail (I assume for a fight) to where I put an arrow in him as he stood at 5 yards from my stand that was hung just off the trail... I believe the trail gave him and easy travel route to investigate the call...

Also as the years go by since the trail was put in, black berry bushes and multiflora rose bushes have crowded the edges of the trail which seems to have helped the deer feel more safe while using the trail...

he cut it very well nice smooth dirt as wide as a golfcart. i think the reseaon for the trail was to give his grandchild a path to drive the golf cart on.but i have a decent 12 point on camera from the other morning so things are looking up :)

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    The deer will surely use a trail of this size for daily movement. I cut 3 foot wide trails all through my property about 7 years ago. I keep them open year yound. The deer use these trails for almost all of their travels through and across my property.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

I mow trails... for the deer to use and for me to get to my stands quickly and quietly. The deer are all over my trail-cams walking these mowed paths and they have been there for three years now.

Trails are great. The deer will adjust in no time and you will see more signs of them using it. Plant some clover or something like that in small section and you will find yourself setting a stand someplace along it. Good luck

Years ago I cut a trail through a mess of briars so I could get to stand quicker. Didn't take long for the deer to start using the trail also

Thread Information