Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fall plots

fall plots

OK anyone planting any fall plots, getting kinda late so?/

I finished mine yesterday, was going to do some before after pic's but forgot the before pic, and was dark by the time i was done

planted 4 acres total of purple top turnips, between two locations
    and then today I got rain, so timing was great on that
    had plans to plant two weeks sooner but got side tracked so, hope there isn't any early frost now, need 45 days frost free from here

will post some pic's next trip to the farm

my spring beans plots are looking great, even got beans this yr, frst time ever too!, normally deer eat them so hard never make any!

so should be a great huntig season food plot wise here for me!

MRBB,

I put in a plot myself this FALL and got the seed in on August 17th as well. Purple turnips came up quickly but I noticed during this cold spell over last two weeks growth has been stalled. Is this typical? I am in Berks County, PA. I did get the rain right after I planted but then we went almost two weeks in late August without rain until Labor Day. Let me know if you have any advice or thoughts.

Thanks!

well yes and NO, cold will slow things down, on about all plants
    BUT many time planting brassicia type seeds, turnips, rape what ever, its always a GOOD idea to go back and add urea about 3-4 weeks after you plant, it gives them a boost, and helps them fill in better(most seed companys actually recommend this as well)
    the best time to do so is just before a rain too, as urea will just go up in the air it seems, and the plants won't get as much from it

I typically go about 60-100 lbs an acre, pending how i fertilized the site prior to planting, over the yrs i found on brassicia type plants I go a little extra on the nitrogen level at seeding. they seem to get a better take doing so, I'll add an extra 20 % or so

your a little south of me, and my one plot is doing much better than the other, seems this yr with the dry spells then wet spells, the shadier field is doing much better for me too
    so, till we get a frost, it will keep growing

Impressive growth in a month. I know who to ask for plot advice in the future. Thanks for posting. KB
    Mathews Chill-R, Carbon Express, Rage

been playing with food plots since 1988, so yup I have for sure learned a lot along the yrs, many times the hard way too!
    and I am always glad to help out if I can
    I am a firm believer in food plots too, if you have a place to plant them, they can make a huge difference in deer sightings and make hunting for ANY deer almost simple
    not sure thats always a good thing however! kinda spoils you!

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Very nice turnout for you there mrbb!!

Thanks for feedback Mrbb! Where would I get urea?

urea is Nitrogen, so any Awgay would carry it, or any place that sell fertilizer should too, odds are Lowes or home dept might have it, but would want more than say a Ag store like Agway or local feed stores

MRBB, Quick question for you.

Planted my first plot this year (planted in June). It's a tiny little plot...maybe 1/8 an acre. 1/4 is Clover/chicory and 3/4 is Brassica. The clover/chicory was slow to grow but looks good now. The brasica have some weeds in them but still have grown to about somehwere between knee and waste high.

The deer hit them occasionally when they were about 4 inches high, but went to the beans (right next to my plot) when the beans really took off. My question is when should I get over that plot? As soon as they cut the beans or when everything else browns?

My plot is so small I'm sure they will eradicate it within a week or so when they turn their attention to it.

Thanks in advance, KB
    Mathews Chill-R, Carbon Express, Rage

Thread Information