Thread: ....Question two.... Trail Cams on Public Land

....Question two.... Trail Cams on Public Land

....started a new thread since this topic is unrelated to "nature calling"....

I just bought a couple of middle of the road trail cams ( wild game innovations). I am planning on taking them to the public land I hunt. I plan to "go deep" but I suspect that eventually others out there may run across them. I purposely bought medium quality - as I have read a lot about them getting stolen. If it happens, I will be fired up, not so much for the money, but because I hunt two hours from my house. And will be making periodic runs down there to swap out the memory cards and batteries. What are the chances that these things will get jacked? I'd like to think there is a "code" amongst the hunting fraternity... Any thoughts/recommendations or experience with this?

well I would love to tell you fellow hunters don't steal from other hunters, but when it comes to trail cams, I have to disagree sadly
    I suggest a bear box and a good cable lock, and off the beaten path the better
    and when setting up cams try towork with the sun, so its never in front of the cam as it rises or sets
    other wise good luck, and hope you get some great pic's ans share them here

Had not thought about the sun.... great tip... I guess I'm rolling the dice with putting these out on public land....

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    If you run your cameras from after turkey season until about the opening of squirrel season the chances of someone running across them will be slim. Very few people other than hunters use public hunting land. And most hunters only use it during an open game season. I'd put them as far off the beaten path as possible. I'd pull my cameras just before the squirrel opener. Also a camera set up on the ground and pointed upward blends in much better than one strapped to a tree. And I find the locks and camera boxes make a camera much easier to see in the woods. I use a small bungee if I set up on a tree or just sit my camera on the ground at times. When on the ground I use a couple small sticks shoved in the ground to hold the camera in place at the desired angle. But, my cameras are on my own private property. My attached photo is from an on the ground camera set up.

Like mrbb said hunters will steal game cameras, stands, pop up blinds and other things. Too bad this is the truth, but it is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010s40.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	8717
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

I agree hortontoter I put mine out the same time. Never during the open season
    I think an ir might be safer than a flash cam. Coon hunters and guys walking in an out could stumble on them
    I do use a box python cable lock.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Good point, an IR is much less detectable than a flash camera.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

OK here is a few other tips if you like,
    I have had a lot of cam's stolen off Private lands, so have tried a lot of ways to keep them from walking off

these types of locks and a metal box are my best, all the better on a cuddeback box that actually protects the lock as well as the cam, wish more companys did that, don't think you can use a metakl box on public lands, as they require you to lag bolt them to a tree, and thats a NO NO on public grounds in most states, but

http://www.masterlocks.com/product/n...ty,588,343.htm

and you can if your putting out a mineral block or on a very heavy trail or like, put a camera about 10+ ft off the ground and angle it downwards
    I have done that in some places I know they will get seen and maybe taken

you can carry in a portable climber to set up the cam this way, or a ladder
    sure its more work, but it keeps them from costing you replacement money
    draw back to being up a tree is there window of triggering them is a lot less , and the work to do so
    but??
    at a 100 bucks + a cam??

I have also used metal straping instead of the nylon strap that comes with the cam's or Both, this way I can either bolt the strapping to the tree(again not on public lands) or over lap it and lock it as well

but when they want the cam its hard to save it
    I have had them come back with a chain saw and cut a tree down to get it
    I don't live on property so?? it can happen while I am not there!
    also had a few shot on me over the yrs too! lots of jerks in the world sadly!

these Camera company's need to install GPS tracking chips in the cam's, as they, cannot be that expensive, all cell phone have them, and they give them away LOL
    and just think about the pro's of that!

I know I would love to go pay a few visits to some folks that took mine over the yrs, and get a little personal pay back!~
    or at least get them back, or have them arrested!, would make it so easy then too!

Thread Information