Thread: Barnett Ranger?

Hybrid View

Barnett Ranger?

Hey, I'm looking to trade for a crossbow so I can introduce my son to deer hunting. I found one on craigslist, it's a Barnett Ranger recurve style. I'm a noob when it comes to crossbows and wanted to get opinions of the people who use them on a more frequent basis. It can't be a high end, the guy is only asking $45 or trade for it. I found specs that it's 150# pull, so I figure it's got enough to kill out to 20-30yds. I was gonna look at it and make sure the limbs look okay, shoot it, then see if he'll make the trade. Any other tips?
    Bear Lights Out 27"/60#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400 arrows
    Whisker Biscuit
    Extreme Archery 3 Pin Sight
    100gr Rage 2 Blade

"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."

Ted Nugent

Make sure you check the base of the bows where they attach to the stock.
    I have seen a couple of older recurves that begin to splinter at this point (glass fiber separation)

Check the release and the safety.

I believe the barnett ranger was a cable and string setup?
    Make sure the cable is in good shape. You cannot find new/replacement cables very easily for alot of the older crossbows.

Good luck!
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Semper Fidelis

Famous last words "Hey guys, watch this!!!"

Life is tough. Its even tougher if your stupid.

I would strongly suggest you take the bow to a GOOD bow shop and have them inspect it
    45 bucks sounds CHEAP to me, meaning it could be a very low end bow, and or in bad shape
    a few dry fires will do a hell of a lot of damage to abow that the naked eye cannot see

I kow money is a issue for most folks, but to me, for starting a kid off with a bow with questionable history sounds like a possible problem
    be different if you knew the guy and history on the bow

but to me, new strings and cables would be a MUST do deal
    and then when you add in teh cost of them, the bow and well, bew bolts ,
    what your spending you could get a new bottom end X bow, and know its safe

to me, I just wouldn't risk a injury on a new kid
    seem to me for kids to stick to the sport anymore the whole deal had to be enjoyable

not knocking a deal if its one
    just something to think about
    once you add up all the things , a new one sounds like a better investment in my eye's

Cablea's bargin cave always has tons of either out dated left over model x bows or trade in very cheap

seen brand new whole packages bolts head bow quiver for like 200 bucks, and thats brand new everything!
    used one's for less

just a thought!

Thread Information