Thread: to spend or not to spend.....

to spend or not to spend.....

So I started my bow "career" last year with a crossbow ( too late in the year to practice), this year I want to get a bow, and get it early enough to have some range time. I just read the new Field and Stream and they rate 3 "bargain bows" for $300. I have been told (mostly by guys that SELL bows) to "buy the best bow you can afford". Can anyone confirm or deny this theory. I can afford a better bow, but after reading the article, I am looking at the BEAR encounter - which sounds like is as good as some $1,000 bows. I really would rather buy a good bow at a good price, and spend the other money on trail cams / stands. Just looking for some impartial feedback.

You shouldn't listen to anybody other then yourself. Pick out a few bows and go try them out. After you have tried them then you should chose what bow feels the best to you.

TOKE2.... I WAS IN THE SAME BOAT YOU ARE IN LAST YEAR... I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE THEORY OF BUYING THE BEST BOW YOU CAN AFFORD. I THINK THE BEST ADVISE THAT I GOT ON HERE LAST YEAR WAS TO JUST GO TO A SHOP AND SHOOT ALL THE DIFFERENT BOWS AND PICK THE ONE THAT FEELS BEST TO YOU... I SHOT PROBABLY 20 DIFFERENT BOWS (NOT ALL THE SAME DAY) AND ENDED UP WITH ONE OF THE LESS EXPENSIVE BOWS BECAUSE IT JUST FELT GOOD TO SHOOT IT. HOPE THIS HELPS
    [SOME PEOPLE DRINK, SOME PEOPLE USE DRUGS, I GET MY HIGH FROM HUNTING

2011 PSE STINGER
    CARBON EXPRESS ARROWS
    NAP SPITFIRE 125 BROADHEAD
    APEX QUIVER
    TRU-FIRE PRO SERIES RELEASE
    TROPHY TAKER SMACKDOWN REST
    -----------------------------------------
    2010 WICKED RIDGE WARRIOR CROSSBOW
    RED/GREEN DOT SCOPE
    CARBON EXPRESS BOLTS

bows are like guns, you will always shoot better with one that feels the best in your hands

best advice is not to get caught up in the hype of numebsrs on bows

many low costs bow now , are what were HIGH end bows a few yrs ago

very few bad bows out there
    what makes a bow really costs more to ME is the options and materials there made out of
    do you need them
    NO
    are ethey nice to have
    well yes and no, some are over kill

best advice again is GO shoot bows, find the one's that feel best to YOU, and then pick a bow from that group,
    not all bows are good fits to all shooters
    and price alone means nothing if it doesn't feel right to the shooter!
    also, I see nothing wrong with a good used bow either

many gusy are into buying new models every yr or other yr, and , there is nothing wrong with there old bow, they just want a new one, and trade them in
    and a great way to get a deal on a packaged bow too!
    Plus on older bow, any known problems are just that Known, so you can get more info on them than Brand new models if you ask me!

but over all it comes down to fit/feel of a bow

more money an add speed, how quiet or light a bow is, or materials its made from, but can never replace fit/feel! to be able to shoot it well!

Thanks guys... pretty common suggestion to go shoot several. Any recommendations as to where to go to do this? I live near Akron - Dicks Sporting goods / Kames / 10point ??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am all for getting something that feels good in my hands vs. just paying for a name or model.... I kinda thought the sales guy's pitch sounded more like a used car pitch than honest advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jsyn View Post
    TOKE2.... I WAS IN THE SAME BOAT YOU ARE IN LAST YEAR... I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE THEORY OF BUYING THE BEST BOW YOU CAN AFFORD. I THINK THE BEST ADVISE THAT I GOT ON HERE LAST YEAR WAS TO JUST GO TO A SHOP AND SHOOT ALL THE DIFFERENT BOWS AND PICK THE ONE THAT FEELS BEST TO YOU... I SHOT PROBABLY 20 DIFFERENT BOWS (NOT ALL THE SAME DAY) AND ENDED UP WITH ONE OF THE LESS EXPENSIVE BOWS BECAUSE IT JUST FELT GOOD TO SHOOT IT. HOPE THIS HELPS
    Where did you go? Looks like you shoot a Wicked Ridge Warrior Crossbow... That is the same one I bought last year in Lieu of a compound.... love that crossbow. I don't live far from the 10Pt./ WIcked Ridge facility, so may go there....

Quote Originally Posted by ghunter View Post
    You shouldn't listen to anybody other then yourself. Pick out a few bows and go try them out. After you have tried them then you should chose what bow feels the best to you.
    Live near Akron - any suggestions where to go to put several different bows in my hands? Thanks for the tip...

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    bows are like guns, you will always shoot better with one that feels the best in your hands

best advice is not to get caught up in the hype of numebsrs on bows

many low costs bow now , are what were HIGH end bows a few yrs ago

very few bad bows out there
    what makes a bow really costs more to ME is the options and materials there made out of
    do you need them
    NO
    are ethey nice to have
    well yes and no, some are over kill

best advice again is GO shoot bows, find the one's that feel best to YOU, and then pick a bow from that group,
    not all bows are good fits to all shooters
    and price alone means nothing if it doesn't feel right to the shooter!
    also, I see nothing wrong with a good used bow either

many gusy are into buying new models every yr or other yr, and , there is nothing wrong with there old bow, they just want a new one, and trade them in
    and a great way to get a deal on a packaged bow too!
    Plus on older bow, any known problems are just that Known, so you can get more info on them than Brand new models if you ask me!

but over all it comes down to fit/feel of a bow

more money an add speed, how quiet or light a bow is, or materials its made from, but can never replace fit/feel! to be able to shoot it well!
    Thanks man... hadn't thought of a used bow... I know the type that has to buy the latest and greatest, so they trade in their gear ( both hunting and golf) every year for the newest and "greatest" when nothing is wrong with the one they bought last year. I may seek out some used equipment.... Thanks!

well I am not from Ohio,
    but my sufggestion would be maybe to make several phone calls to bow shops near and far, and then go to the one's that carry the most bows in stock
    or a trip to say a bass bro shop a cabela's or gander Mt's and likes if none are close to you

you don't have to buy at these places, but the fact they might have the best selection to try, shoot to get a feel

then you can go to a local shop near you to buy , this way if you have peoblems doing business with a local can pay off in a pinch for loyal customers seem to get better service, than if you buy else where and then need there help!

Start here:
    Hadleys
    (330) 882-6060
    5676 Manchester Road
    Akron‎ OH‎ 44319
    United States

I haven't been there for a while but they had a decent selection.

If you feel like a little drive

Insight Archery
    (330) 893-2269
    3149 Ohio 39
    Millersburg‎ OH‎ 44654
    United States.

Or

Kidron Sports Center LLC
    (330) 893-1486
    4432 County Road 70‎ OH‎ 44617
    United States

Call before heading anywhere and talk to them first about what you are looking for.

Thread Information