Thread: Welcome to everyone!

Hybrid View

Welcome to everyone!

I hope everyone enjoys discussing crossbows in the new forum!

So, I have a couple Hortons and an old starfire also.

What do you shoot and what do you recommend??

SW_OH_deer
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Semper Fidelis

Famous last words "Hey guys, watch this!!!"

Life is tough. Its even tougher if your stupid.

I shoot a Horton Hunter HD 150, and I prefer carbon express bolts(300-325 grain) with Killzone mechanical broadheads.

I have a horton HD 175, its OK, but to be honest its loud and it eats up strings pretty fast if you shot it much
    I have shot a bunch of x bows since getting this one, and I have to say that the new style with the reverse draw on them just balance so much better and from one's I shot back to back, there a ton quietier
    and now they have faster models too to keep up with the higher ends models on the market
    so if I was up grading they would be getting really looked at in my eye's
    just my 2 cents

I am not a crossbow hunter but just returning from a trip to SE Ohio. I did notice most hunters were shooting crossbows. So fill me in on what the advantages or disadvantages are. They do look heavy to carry. I guess you can shoot farther than a compound. Looking for info. In my state of NH only hunters with a docters note saying they can't use a compound bow or long bow can use a crossbow.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

I started with a Horton summit 150(265fps) it was a great starter xbow, then I moved up to a Horton 225 (350 fps) (recurve) and would still be using that one but sadly it was stolen. I now shoot a Stryker strykezone 380 (380 fps) it's fast quiet, light and compact. It shoots so flat/fast that I use the same crosshairs for 20 and 30yd shots. I'm shooting matched carbon 20" 335g arrows with 150g Excalibur boltcutters. Griz.....there's no advantage as far as shooting distance, most xbows are heavier and quick second shots are all but impossible with an xbow. Your only real advantage with a xbow is that it's cocked and ready to go......but you better make that first shot count. I hunt with an xbow simply because I've always been fascinated with them......I'm a good shot with a vertical bow and use to hunt small game with a recurve......I just prefer the crossbow.
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

pro's and con's
    well I think a lot depends on what you start hunting with, guys starting off with a vertical bow will find a X bow odd to carry and get into shooting position with without getting busted, as your profile sticks out a lot up in a tree, andf youc an not hold it in the ready position as long, and then you always have to watch the limb on shooting as they expand and can hit a tree pretty easy if your not careful
    next Con for an X bow is second shots are much harder to get away with, next, there from my experience higher wear and tear on strings, mostly I feel due to the higher Lbs's , so just more stress on them, and many drag on the slide Barrel, what ever you like to call it!

next, some folks have a harder time judging distance looking through a scope as to open sight, and few guy use an X bow without a scope
    next they can just be a pain in the ass to carry far, they are top heavy when shooting , and most are at least twice as loud or more than a vertical bow, again, mostly due to design and etra draw weights, again my opinion

going from sitting to standng and taking shots with a X bow has more movements in my opinion, and its a lot harder to keep an x bow at the ready/shooting position than a vertical bow, a vertical bow in the resting position is much more comfortable to hold for long periods of time, but an x bow you can hold without effort in the cocked and ready to fire so??
    the profile of a vertical bow can be blended in better I feel too,
    X bow are front heavy when holding for any lenght of time, but again a vertical bow isn't all that much lighter all set up with sights/wuiver/stabalizer, and ?
    so weight isn't really an issue, but its how the weight is placed on each that , to me make a vertical bow easier to handle in a tree, blind or?? unless shooting out a blind stand off a rest, the the X bow wins, and is a for sure POR for an X bow, allowing you a super steady rest, something you cannot do on a vertical bow!

as far as shooting distance, both shoot as flat as the speeds allow, so a faster x bow/vertical bow, just shoots flater, no real one tpype being able to shoot farther flater or more energy than the other
    thats a wash

BUT it takes a lot less skill to shoot an X bow, as to a vertical bow
    an X bow can pretty much be a sight it in and forget it type deal, PRACTICE is always good idea's
    but on a vertical BOW, form comes into play a ton more in my opinion

Draw backs to verticals bow's, SIZE some can be very long , takes effort to learn how to shoot well, more moving parts , not many but I , again MY opinion, feel vertical compound not recurve or long bows, have more things that can work loose, again my opinion

after that I have fewer con's on vertical bow's

I started hunting with them for 20+ yrs before switching over to an X bow mostly due to an injury and well, the injury is still there making shooting a vertical bow less fun for me

so I shoot a X bow
    but stil play with vertical bows,

hope this helps, and again these are just MY opinions on pro's/ con's

Thanks for the info guys. I don't plan on switching yet but learning about a different way is always good. It also will help anyone else reading the thread. I sure was surprised at how many guys were carrying X-bows. It has brought new blood into and kept more guys in our sport. I don't think it matters what anyone shoots, long bow, recurve, compound, X-bow, were all need to stick together. Its whats best for our future.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

I have a crossbow made by Horton for Team Realtree. It is ultra light and fast as lightning. I may sell it though and go with a reverse. I am still checking them out.
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

I hunt with a hoton summit and use spifire 125 grain and I love it

Thread Information