Thread: killing Grasses

killing Grasses

what do most of you use to kill grass in your clover food plots.

OK I have tried a few things over the yrs,
    I started off with Poast, then went to Poast Plus
    then I tried Arrow
    and even used the whitetail slay/arrest(Too pricey)

any way, they all worked OK, the key is to get on top of the grass before it buds or goes to seed

and before it gets too tall

many will tell you if it gets too tall, to mow and then wait a few days and spray

but I simple found if you are doing this you missed teh REAL time to spray for grass in clover

if any had seens by mowing you are in a small way eseeding the plot with grass again

them seeds will dry and re plant come rain or when ever, and be a problem again!

Its still WAY better to cut and spray than not spraying at all thats for sure, but the real time came and passed to stay on top

of all the chemicals above, Arrow is the cheapest to use from my experience

but weeds/grass is a hard deal to eliminate in clover in summer

seeds will blow in from all over and transplant

a better clover take will help keep grass's and weeds out better, which is why a soil test and following them work best and are so strongly suggest before and on all plantings

hope this helps , if not feel free to ask me more, been playing with food plots a Long time, started with whitetail instiute the second yr they started up so,LONG time now!
    I have a lot of experience on both good proven and trial and error ways!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxis31 View Post
    what do most of you use to kill grass in your clover food plots.
    clethodim and crop oil.........if using a back pack sprayer mix about .5 oz of cleth per gallon of water and 1.3 oz of crop oil per gallon of water. I just sprayed my clover plots last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by no trespassing View Post
    clethodim and crop oil.........if using a back pack sprayer mix about .5 oz of cleth per gallon of water and 1.3 oz of crop oil per gallon of water. I just sprayed my clover plots last weekend.
    No trespassing, I have bnever used that chemical, but a quick look and see it is in many things/same like type stuff

only in different percentages

what percentage do you use at that .5 oz to a gallon, and do you mix at that rate for a larger sprayer or go higher ratio on it!

and have you ever tried it on Brassicia??
    I see in a add for it it says it can be used on rape, so?? similar plant so??

last few brassicia plots I had heavy weed problems(mostly weather problem, but be nice to have an option)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    No trespassing, I have bnever used that chemical, but a quick look and see it is in many things/same like type stuff

only in different percentages

what percentage do you use at that .5 oz to a gallon, and do you mix at that rate for a larger sprayer or go higher ratio on it!

and have you ever tried it on Brassicia??
    I see in a add for it it says it can be used on rape, so?? similar plant so??

last few brassicia plots I had heavy weed problems(mostly weather problem, but be nice to have an option)
    None of my plots are over an acre so I typically just use my 4 gallon BP sprayer to spray when necessary. The #'s are got are off the product label. You can use this over chicory, turnips and rape to kill grasses. I personally never have a problem with weed issues in my brassica plots due to them shading everything else out.

It says to use .33-.65oz per gallon so I usually split the difference and go with .5oz per gallon. With the crop oil it recommends 1.3oz per gallon. Be careful with the crop oil because it can burn forages if applied in excessive amounts.

OK thanks, will have to maybe try that stuff some day!

Thread Information