Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beans and corn plot

Quote Originally Posted by hortontoter View Post
    It is going to be a tough year for any kind of plots that were spring planted. I think the Aug to Sept planters will be on top this season. I gave up on my tiny plot at my place. Just not enough sun gets in to grow much. I will not plant a clover type plot again. I'm thinking turnips if I ever do try again.
    I will be doing a fall planting as well, pending budget, either 3 acre's or???
    I will be doing brassicia's

to be honest in shade its hard to get any good stuff to grow, pne advantage in fall plots is leaves start to fall adding some extra light, but shorter days don't help!!!!
    but Brassicia's are cheap seeds, and tend to grow well if you add enought fertilizer
    there pretty simple to get going too
    my fall plots will be a combo of over seeding this beans and corn on a rainy day, and then adding some fertilizer too!
    rain will plant them seeds as long as I keep the weeds out

and the other sights will be dead area's till fall, I will burn off the ground cover, and just a very light disc, and seed and fertilize, and then hope for rain!
    I use cheap forage rape seeds for fall plots, since last few yrs, weather has been bad on takes

a 50 lb bag of seed, enough for about 10 acres is about 50 bucks for me here!
    biggest cost is fertilizer

but WOW that stuff pulls deer in the cold weather, well worth a try if you can!

Great looking plot, MRBB! I tried my first plot this year (brassicia and turnips) but nothing as expansive or impressive as yours. Tough growing in my plot due to lack of rain, but it is doing a little something which I pics of the dear grazing. Best of luck with the plot and the fall hunt. KB

I planted 6 acres of corn and it seems to all be browsed and I doubt there will be many ears. I just started researching and looks like I should have put electric fence up. Did you ever do that or think about it?

Quote Originally Posted by JMax510 View Post
    I planted 6 acres of corn and it seems to all be browsed and I doubt there will be many ears. I just started researching and looks like I should have put electric fence up. Did you ever do that or think about it?
    ON 6 acres you should be OK< , I typically do 3 acres, and I have way too many deer, and when i say lot, I have counted a 100 no lie in fields at once!,
    they will eat/browse a ton, but I still get lots of corn, corn is pretty hardy if you keep the weeds out and fertilize it right

and or, if you can add some nitrogen right before a rain to give them a boost

as for a fence
    No on electric
    but I do have about 70% of the field with an 8 ft deer fence put up by the state yrs back to try to help on crop damage
    they jump over it like its not there!

Only way a e fence would work here I think if if i did it 3 wide or more

so many moths to feed they would take the hit to get to food due to so many and that need to eat!

good luck on your corn

it should bounce back if your soil was preped right, corn is pretty hardy, too much rain is more of a worry than browsing on a field that size in my book

Thread Information