Thread: FOOD PLOTS ANYONE ???

Hybrid View

Ok, i had to get in on this as im excited to start my first year in the food plot business. I have done a few half hearted tries, but without propper equipment. I just bought a 6' tiller for my tractor. I put in a quick spring plot a week ago of Buckwheat. Small one about a quarter acre, but it was cheap and is supposed to be a good soil builder. I will till it up in the fall and plant a rye and forage pea mix with a clover overseed so the clover has a chance to get established while the deer eat the rye and peas this year. Then next spring the clover should be good for summer.

I also have a 3 acre field i am trying to decide what to do with. I just got the tiller. Dont feel like i have time to spray till, and get ina spring plot there. So will wait a couple more weeks and then spray it. Might do half in a late summer Brassica plot, and the other half in fall of the same rye/pea mix and then do an early maturing soy bean next spring and be able to get a summer and fall plot out of it again. I have been studying...too many choices. Its going to be fun. I started a log.

t6400...if you don't have the equipment for bigger plots then i would suggest doing a perenial in those bigger plots like Whitetail Clover as that will last for about 5 years...i like to put perenials on the tougher places to get to so i don't have to plow, disc, drag, etc. on them every year...just an idea.
    Will hunt for food...will work for beer.
    Leave'r Right There!

Thread Information