Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Spring Turkey Hunting Daily Hunting Reports

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Hunted Friday 4/27 and had no action, but heard three different gobblers.

Hunted this morning and saw a good number of birds. Had three jakes and two longbeards working the 200 yard area between my dad and I. They never got close enough for either of us to get a shot. Saw 12-15 birds in a clover field abour 400 yards from me, at least six of them were strutters. Had one bird in range today a small hen at about 20 yards.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

04/29/12 Sunday report- took Saturday off and glad I did, bad weather and hunters everywhere. Sunday slept in and went out at 9:30 hoping to catch a gobbler after his hens left him. Went to four different spots and walked and called and heard nothing. Tough hunting around here. Hopefully this week's warmup will boost the gobbling.

Hunted Monday, Tuesday and Thursday this week. Saw plenty of birds and the gobbling was tremendous every morning. After two weeks of watching movement I think I have them somewhat figured out. After Thursday mornings hunt I moved my pop-up to a new location. Hopefully this move will get me into shooting range.

hunted hard this weekend, gobblers firing off the roost, then as soon as they hit the ground they go silent for the rest of the day. Today the 7th no gobbles on the roost. We think the warm weather screwed it up, hunting is only gonna get harder from here on out

Saturday 05/05/12 report- had planned to go to a spot where turkeys are always gobbling but we got between 2-4" of rain on Friday night, had flash floods all around, and many roads were closed, so my brother and I hit another spot we could get to. Light rain all morning, heard no birds on the roost, busted one hen off the roost (she came back later and walked within 10 yds of us all ticked off), and finally heard a single gobble a ridge away at 8:30 or so. So off we went toward the gobbler and we never heard from him again. Gobbling still very poor around here.

Sunday 05/06/12 report- went by myself and heard a bird gobble two times on the roost. By the time I got to him he was in a field with 5 hens. Called and called to him but he wouldn't leave the hens. So I slowly worked my way down to the field edge by staying in the shadows and got to within 60-70 yds of him. There I sat from 9:00 until 11:30 watching him strut in the field with 5 hens, constantly chasing them and gobbling a little bit. I figured they would eventually leave him, and 4 of them did, then at 11:30 he followed the last hen into the woods so I hightailed it way up the hill to try and work him before 12, but I never heard from him again. Beautiful day though, sunny and hot. My brother killed a nice gobbler Sunday morning, 1" spurs and 11" beard. He said the bird never gobbled a single time! Not on the roost, not on the ground, not when he come in to be shot. None.

OK, late joining in here

just got back from a weeks hunt up my cabin

had 8 guys up

had rain almost every day and heavy fogs

we killed only one bird a 9 inch beard 19.5 lb on thursday, and other wise
    extremely slow week
    few if any birds gobbling at all

I hunted 6 days didn't hear but one gobble the whole week
    BUt I did manage to find several birds, all hens and jakes however!

had several of the jakes less than 20 yards but passed

lousy weather from cold temps at nite, 38-42 degrees to then up to 70 degrees a few days or stayed cold never breaking 50

crazy weather, heavy winds lots of rain and fog

lousy hunting weather!!

Hunted Monday, Tuesday and today this week. Saw birds every day, but no mature birds in range. Hunted from 10-3 today to try somthing different. Luck was on par with my season thus far.

Hunted hard the last weekend of the season with nothing to show for it. Definitely a turkey season to forget. Saturday my brother and i climbed Mt. Scioto County where we usually always find turkeys. We only make it up that hill a couple times per season because it involves a 1/2 mile walk through chest high grass, followed by a river crossing and waders, then a climb straight up a huge hill to get above where the turkeys roost. We got up there and never heard a single bird. Very disappointing.

Sunday we setup in a field corner in a neighboring property where we did hear a bird Saturday morning and.....the bird was gobbling. Gobbled good on roost, same down the hill to us, but wouldn't step into the field to join the decoys. He stood right on the edge in the brush (25-50 yds) and strutted back and forth for 30-45 intense minutes. We've killed several gobblers here but this old gobbler was having none of it.

End of season...I'm tired...too many 4:30 mornings....bring on bow season!

Thread Information