Thread: What You Learned..What You Will Change

Hybrid View

Swirling winds too close to a buck's bedroom = never seeing that buck. I hunted way too close to where he slept simply because I liked the setup but the wind never stayed true to the forecast in that swamp.

I learned not to underestimate a deer's eyes. I had been told previously that deer had fairly poor vision and that their nose was what you had to look out for. This led me to set up a couple hunts in places where the cover was not so good, and I thought that if I kept still, that I would have no problem. This led to deer skylining me almost instantly and I lost out on a couple nice opportunities. I plan to avoid this mistake as much as possible in the future.

I also learned and am continuing to learn that the moment when you least expect to see a deer, is precisely when they seem to show up...so don't let your guard down.

I learned that tag soup tastes the same this year as it did 20 years ago.

I had a good year and saw and passed on deer just about everytime I went out. I made the decision to hold out for a certain size of deer and never got the opportunity. But I am still happy with the outcome. Early season does are still safe with me. I would rather have the live decoys out there during the rut then meat in the freezer early.

What I would change for next year........... Get some new recipes for tag soup.
    "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us. They can't get away this time."
    LtGen Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller - USMC

Thread Information