Athletic Greens
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sanctuary - I hate that word!

Not much to add here, I think the others gave you some real good advice. I definitely wouldn't keep pushing the landowner for permission to hunt, just try to build the relationship. I feel for you guys who live in areas of the state where neighbors don't know each other or some of their family. Around here I get told no, but usually they know some of my family or I know some of their family and this leads to them saying yes to hunting, but it's getting harder as the old folk die off because younger people (<40) don't get to know neighbors and people in the area they live like older folks did.
    "...the deepest, most permanent features of all great moments outside are the names, faces, descriptions, and emotions. The antlers on the wall...well, they're just bones affixed to boards. But what they represent, however, is flesh and blood - fathers and sons, friends spending time with friends and the the seasons of life when the people we love were still with us. These old antlers on the wall...well, take a seat, my friend, and I'll tell you all about them." -Rev. Zeke Pipher

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post
    Not much to add here, I think the others gave you some real good advice. I definitely wouldn't keep pushing the landowner for permission to hunt, just try to build the relationship. I feel for you guys who live in areas of the state where neighbors don't know each other or some of their family. Around here I get told no, but usually they know some of my family or I know some of their family and this leads to them saying yes to hunting, but it's getting harder as the old folk die off because younger people (<40) don't get to know neighbors and people in the area they live like older folks did.
    So one of the neighbor kids in my parents neighborhood that I am kinda friends with is also friends with these people's grandson. He says that he's gone squirrel hunting on their property... I wouldn't mind getting in on some of that! Should I see if I can piggy back on the squirrel hunting?

I am also setting up a salt/mineral block in my parents back yard to try and entice them over the fence... we'll see how that works!
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Probably not much different or much to add from the rest of the fella's. To me any property that borders the "sanctuary" would benefit from it, if you did the right things on your land that is. They have to have a reason to leave it and if you have it, they will come. Heck, if you are being allowed to walk it and recreate on the land then you should get to know it better and figure out what it is missing. Maybe it's water, maybe it's food, maybe it's excellent bedding cover. Sure it may have adequate amounts of all those things but if you can provide better......gives some a reason to leave. Other than that as others have mentioned, stop pressuring them about hunting and if they allow you to take the family for walks then there you go, do it and do it often. Tell them how much you appreciate THAT! It may pay off in the end by them allowing you and your family to hunt it but if not, well you and your family have benefited anyways from the enjoyment you have gotten as a family in the outdoors.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Thread Information