Athletic Greens
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: do you believe in QDM

If you look back at my previous reply you see I do believe in QDM. I don't like brown is down. But I'm not sure if forcing it on others by making a law is a good thing. We all hunt for different reasons. Yes I let inmature deer walk. I will shoot does. But its not someone else tellling me I have to do it this way. You are doing the right thing, so maybe talking to your neigbors, showing them what QDM does and the protential it has will change there minds without making a law. We are all loosing our freedom for to many laws. I,m not trying to force my beliefs on anyone, I,m just try to make a point for discussion. Hopefully all the members and nonmembers that read these posts will thinks of whats best for the deer herd. Last but not least, we all need to stick together and get along to keep our sport avaialbe for the future.

I agree Griz what you are saying , that is the reason why i brought up the QDMA ,they over see land and require Pay to Play, those things are not setting good with me, Its not a gain of hunting ground , it would be a loss to those cant afford to Pay for the IE freedom to hunt , The point of restriction on points will increase the (QDM) quality (size) of bucks in Ohio, you can still kill a doe at will, so i am on the fence if that is a loss of a right...or just good management... I hunt for big bucks , its the force that drives me, I have killed well over 100 animals in my IE career, but the passion of killing Big Bucks has become a driving force to me if you will. I dont know maybe if it was all big bucks in Ohio to choose from maybe the drive to play the chess game would be lost. I just love being there, i pass on alot of deer do to the goal i have set for myself, I pray i have many many more years to come, simply I Love It. Not the kill so much but the game.
    "He is no fool who gives up what he can not keep,
                To gain what he can not lose."

passing on deer and watching them grow is truly magical, I know a buck on my buddies farm go from a 130s 3.5 year old to a 165 4.5 year old. This is truly amazing but isnt to be expected in all areas.

MQ1, pay to play has gotten out of control in some states, Ohio not yet but its getting worse. Land owners are trying to make ends meet so they lease land, to outfitters, or just hunters. I have hired outfitters before just because of time issue's. I'm not sure it was money well spent? At this time I'm hunting public land, so that means if I want to scout I make a 1600 mi round trip plus days off work.
    Then 7-10 dys during hunting season a place to stay and 1600 mi round trip. Don't get me wrong, my passion fuels these adventures. Taken all this into consideration, those hunters that live in states with poor deer population, or have no chance at a trophy fuels the pay to play way of hunting. You already know this but consider yourself lucky you live in Ohio and don't have to do what I do. Also every hunter out their can practice QDM by passing on small bucks, shooting does, and if you own land planting food plots, running feeders. Its not just for the pay for play outfits. I hope your time in the stand passing smaller animals is rewarded with a chance. That's all we want, is a chance.

I think that hunting your own land makes it a whole lot easier to buy into QDM, I for one have hunted public land and shot small bucks this of course when I was only 12 years old and was still getting my bearings, but since owning my farm I love making habitat improvements in order to help out my deer and turkey herds. Also with me working with a wildlife biologist I love the fact of going to others land giving them a run down or everything on it, just makes me love hunting even more!

Quote Originally Posted by at1010 View Post
    I think that hunting your own land makes it a whole lot easier to buy into QDM, I for one have hunted public land and shot small bucks this of course when I was only 12 years old and was still getting my bearings, but since owning my farm I love making habitat improvements in order to help out my deer and turkey herds. Also with me working with a wildlife biologist I love the fact of going to others land giving them a run down or everything on it, just makes me love hunting even more!
    Your fortunate to own your own farm. I'm sure you worked hard for it. QDM is alot like growing crops, you just have to wait a bit longer to pick your fruit. If I had the land, I'd be doing the same as you. May be some day?

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    Your fortunate to own your own farm. I'm sure you worked hard for it. QDM is alot like growing crops, you just have to wait a bit longer to pick your fruit. If I had the land, I'd be doing the same as you. May be some day?
    I hope you the best of luck! Owning land is freaking great, but like you stated it can be very frusturating, it is constant work also I am constantly cutting fire wood planting trees removing trees, planting plots, hanging stands, moving stands, thinking about what to plant in plots the next year, filling feeders, you get the point. I would say to you that if you get he opportunity dont be afraid to buy small becuase it will keep you busy! We are currently trying to buy my acreage next to us, and if it goes through I will be so busy I might have a heart attack! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by MQ1 View Post
    I agree 110% on the point restriction in Ohio , The results would be tremendous . As i understand it is working well in PA
    It depends on who you talk to. From what I've heard, a lot of pretty antlered deer with great genetics are being killed while lifetime forkhorns are passing on their genes. High grading.

IMO, antler spread of 15" or more is a better way to prevent high grading and would allow a hunter who'd be happy with a wide forkhorn to kill his trophy for the year. Where I live, this is almost always a 3 year old buck. With you guys and your bigger Ohio deer, it may need to be 16".

The beautiful thing about QDM is it's not one size fits all. It's not just "kill the does, kill the does." And it's definitely not about just the antlers. It's about a balanced age structure of bucks: not killing too many from one age group from year to year. There's room in every management plan for a certain number (even if it's just 1) of yearling bucks to be killed, as blasphemous as that sounds.
    Maybe he had a divine moment when his brains hit the floor (Sid Haig, The Devil's Rejects)

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    It depends on who you talk to. From what I've heard, a lot of pretty antlered deer with great genetics are being killed while lifetime forkhorns are passing on their genes. High grading.

IMO, antler spread of 15" or more is a better way to prevent high grading and would allow a hunter who'd be happy with a wide forkhorn to kill his trophy for the year. Where I live, this is almost always a 3 year old buck. With you guys and your bigger Ohio deer, it may need to be 16".

The beautiful thing about QDM is it's not one size fits all. It's not just "kill the does, kill the does." And it's definitely not about just the antlers. It's about a balanced age structure of bucks: not killing too many from one age group from year to year. There's room in every management plan for a certain number (even if it's just 1) of yearling bucks to be killed, as blasphemous as that sounds.

Good points, I am not sure about judging spread but maybe that would work. In Ohio, I never see 15inch spread forkys, Mostly just basket 8s and 10s not trying to say Ohio is the best state ever but just telling you what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by at1010 View Post
    Good points, I am not sure about judging spread but maybe that would work. In Ohio, I never see 15inch spread forkys, Mostly just basket 8s and 10s not trying to say Ohio is the best state ever but just telling you what I see.
    Ohio is awesome. I know two guys who travel to hunt there. I'll toot the Ohio horn for ya, bro. LOL. I'm going to make it happen one fall.

You are right...a 15" forky would be a freak of nature. A six point would be more probable. A 13" forky is more likely.
    Maybe he had a divine moment when his brains hit the floor (Sid Haig, The Devil's Rejects)

Thread Information