Athletic Greens
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do you believe in QDM

do you believe in QDM

I am just curious as to how many guys believe in QDM or TDM here in Ohio. I feel like it has really caught on in past years and though many guys complained this year about low deer numbers I think overall this is a better trend for Ohio to be heading in. QDM is a proven system, if Ohio has any problems on deer numbers it is because of Zone C being a 6 deer area, as for QDM on a smaller level such as 60 acres I do not see any problems with shooting a doe or two to keep your numbers in check it is all about balance, and I think if the state can find that balance, and hunters buy into it Ohio could be very similar to IOWA. Not to say Ohio already isnt producing some serious Booners!

I am firm believer in QDM
    and wish more hunters were into it as well

as QDM isn't just hunting them, its also aboui helping habitat
    which just helps so many anilams and even air quality as well

but I sadly think there will always be a bigger problem with cheaters than with any hunter that doesn't follow a QDM plan

poaching and cheaters to me are the biggest problems our deer face, they stir the pot for the anti's too, and just hurt all good hunters! and wildlife in general
    bad always spreads faster than good!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    I am firm believer in QDM
    and wish more hunters were into it as well

as QDM isn't just hunting them, its also aboui helping habitat
    which just helps so many anilams and even air quality as well

but I sadly think there will always be a bigger problem with cheaters than with any hunter that doesn't follow a QDM plan

poaching and cheaters to me are the biggest problems our deer face, they stir the pot for the anti's too, and just hurt all good hunters! and wildlife in general
    bad always spreads faster than good!!
    Very true and to the point post! I was hoping you would write in you seem to be very educated on deer hunting topics! I just think that QDM is great for all ages, let the kids smoke the does to get them into the sport teach them to help the heard, how to plant plots, and all that jazz!

I also believe in QDM. There's no doubt. it makes the deer herd better for hunters. I wish my state embraced it more. But here brown is down. The Fish and Game disaproves of feeding the deer. I could go on and on. But back to Ohio. You guys in Ohio have a good thing going, relatively low license fees, lots of public land, good deer numbers with the chance at a booner. I've noticed on this site, alot of the hunters talk about letting young deer walk and planting food plots. The more guys who practice QDM the better.

I couldn't agree more with mrbb on cheaters, poachers. If we hunters who respect our game don't let these kind of loosers in our own hunting circle, and make it clear it is not tolerated. It will help! Also teach our youth hunters that the only way to take game is legaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    I also believe in QDM. There's no doubt. it makes the deer herd better for hunters. I wish my state embraced it more. But here brown is down. The Fish and Game disaproves of feeding the deer. I could go on and on. But back to Ohio. You guys in Ohio have a good thing going, relatively low license fees, lots of public land, good deer numbers with the chance at a booner. I've noticed on this site, alot of the hunters talk about letting young deer walk and planting food plots. The more guys who practice QDM the better.

I couldn't agree more with mrbb on cheaters, poachers. If we hunters who respect our game don't let these kind of loosers in our own hunting circle, and make it clear it is not tolerated. It will help! Also teach our youth hunters that the only way to take game is legaly.
    nice post! I agree, these young guys need to realize that killing a big buck is GREAT, but you must do it legal, just cause he has big bone but is on the other side of the fence then you should take him. I think big antlers can be a great thing, but it can also drive some guys crazy just like drugs could. Other cheaters I feel are just these guys who love this "redneck" persona they put off, even though they couldnt find a deer trail if they were standing on one with deer crap on their boots.

I am starting this year with a few food plots and some planted corn. We have 130 acres and we have never really focused on QDM but we are going to try this year. My problem is we have neighbors who do drives and they drive our property out at least once on gun season. They have a bunch if amish that hunt with them and they shoot everything. The only way to keep them off the property is to build a fence and they would still cut through it. I just have to hope the bucks stay bedded down and they can take all the does they want. Our ratio is pretty bad. Lots of does.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=rsawyers;135530]I am starting this year with a few food plots and some planted corn. We have 130 acres and we have never really focused on QDM but we are going to try this year. My problem is we have neighbors who do drives and they drive our property out at least once on gun season. They have a bunch if amish that hunt with them and they shoot everything. The only way to keep them off the property is to build a fence and they would still cut through it. I just have to hope the bucks stay bedded down and they can take all the does they want. Our ratio is pretty bad. Lots of does.

I would love to sit down and talk to you about a list of things you can do to help your property out! With them driving your farm you need to contact the game warden and let him know whats going on and hopefully he can stake out during bonus weekend or something! They would hope I didnt catch them on my place if they are that dang open about it!

I agree with the Deer Management part of it , everyone should try to do their part. we all know how frustrating that can be. neighbors .. brown its down .. yada yada...

As far as the QDMA i would have nothing to do with PAY for PLAY outfits like i understand them to be, It doesnt need to get to a rich mans only game .
    "He is no fool who gives up what he can not keep,
                To gain what he can not lose."

I am a firm believer in QDM but you need to make sure your surrounding neighbors are on the same program. I have been doing food plots for several years and have harvested bucks over 140 each year. This year was the first year I was unable to get close enough for a clean kill. The most important part is to let the little guys walk. Anyone can kill a buck, but is it a HUGE buck that would look great over your fireplace ? I get sick seeing these basket 6 - 8 - 10 being checked in and hunter telling everyone they shot a nice buck.
    I have a few neighbors that shoot deer for the freezer but continue to shoot the little guys 4 and 6 point basket racks. If you want meat why not take out some large does. Everyone sees does take a few for the freezer. I wish Ohio had a point restriction because then you would see some Large Ohio Whitetails !
    Good Luck practice QDM !

Quote Originally Posted by rrennec2 View Post
    I am a firm believer in QDM but you need to make sure your surrounding neighbors are on the same program. I have been doing food plots for several years and have harvested bucks over 140 each year. This year was the first year I was unable to get close enough for a clean kill. The most important part is to let the little guys walk. Anyone can kill a buck, but is it a HUGE buck that would look great over your fireplace ? I get sick seeing these basket 6 - 8 - 10 being checked in and hunter telling everyone they shot a nice buck.
    I have a few neighbors that shoot deer for the freezer but continue to shoot the little guys 4 and 6 point basket racks. If you want meat why not take out some large does. Everyone sees does take a few for the freezer. I wish Ohio had a point restriction because then you would see some Large Ohio Whitetails !
    Good Luck practice QDM !
    I agree 110% on the point restriction in Ohio , The results would be tremendous . As i understand it is working well in PA
    "He is no fool who gives up what he can not keep,
                To gain what he can not lose."

Thread Information